band saw manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdoby

New User
Gary
I have been fortunate to find an old craftsman bandsaw. The person I am getting it from does not have the manual. Any thoughts on where I might find a manual. I do not know the model number. I am picking it up today. Also, Any tips on using a band saw would be appreciated. I plan to mainly use it to cut blanks to use on my mini lathe.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You should be able to find the model number somewhere on the saw. With that it should be fairly easy to find the manual. Depending on how old it is, Sears/Craftsman/ Atlas/Emmerson may still have it available, or if it is really old the a good place to start your search is OWWM.com - Old Woodworking Machines
A bandsaw is a fairly simple machine, as long as the blade tracks well on the tires and can be tensioned properly and the guides can offer support then you're in business. For cutting turning blanks you will prolly want a 1/4 or 3/8" blade with few teeth per inch (if you're cutting green) to help clear the gullets. If you're cutting green wax your table well, and clean it after each use. Green wood will rust you table in the blink of an eye DAMHIKT :eusa_doh:

Looking forward to the official gloat with photographic evidence :icon_thum
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sears must have sold a zillion of those!
I had a 12" Tilthead and IIRC Monty had one. They pop up on Craigslist frequently. With the blade guard removed they will resaw 7-8" (not that I would ever recommend that :eusa_shhh). The "shroud" style table top provides suprising dust collection. However, if it doesn't have the original fence, the shroud top makes it very difficult to attach a fence. DAMHIKT :lol: Blade guide blocks are non-standard, but the 80" blades are common.

HTH,
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS