Babbitt Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Re: Babbitt Time - Update

After another unsuccessful attempt at the last upper bearing, Rob and I discovered that the operator side bearing cap actually needed more shims to create some additional space for Babbitt metal at the top. We referenced off of the machined surfaces of the jointer base so we know the bottom bearings are uniform but the one cap was very thin at the top and consistently had voids when poured. We added some additional shims, poured again and SUCCESS!. :icon_thum

The bearings will need a little fine tuning with some scraping and filing but they are good to go. I can now move on to a little body work, priming, painting, assembly and then it's pickin' and grinnin' time!

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I am glad to hear you finally had success with the last pour Steve. I look forward to seeing the pix as you start the next step toward total rehab.

D L

M

McRabbet

Re: Babbitt Time - Update

Here are some pics from the last night of pouring babbit metal -- the upper bearing had failed with two pours as Steve described above.

Click on them for a full view. Pour #3 revealed we needed more shims. Success on pour #4!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS