Asheville- Scrounger’s Paradise

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wife and I vacationed in Asheville this week. One of the places we shopped was Scrounger’s Paradise.
The Owner, Mark is a super nice guy and fun to talk with. He started selling wood when a buyer for a large furniture manufacturer declined a shipment of Rosewood veneer. Mark made a bid on the carload and found himself instantly in the lumber business. He has been at it ever since. And he has made some fantastic finds that are available at 9 Hickman Drive in Asheville. We saw exotic table slabs up to 5 x 20 and many stacks of beautiful boards, panels, flooring, and all manner of esoteric materials. He also has the largest private collection of topographic maps in the Country. So, if you need unusual lumber or just want to kill a few hours looking at beautiful things go by and see this hidden gem.

IMG_4236.jpeg
IMG_4235.jpeg
IMG_4234.jpeg
IMG_4233.jpeg
IMG_4232.jpeg
IMG_4231.jpeg
IMG_4230.jpeg
IMG_4229.jpeg
IMG_4228.jpeg

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
Wife and I vacationed in Asheville this week. One of the places we shopped was Scrounger’s Paradise.
The Owner, Mark is a super nice guy and fun to talk with. He started selling wood when a buyer for a large furniture manufacturer declined a shipment of Rosewood veneer. Mark made a bid on the carload and found himself instantly in the lumber business. He has been at it ever since. And he has made some fantastic finds that are available at 9 Hickman Drive in Asheville. We saw exotic table slabs up to 5 x 20 and many stacks of beautiful boards, panels, flooring, and all manner of esoteric materials. He also has the largest private collection of topographic maps in the Country. So, if you need unusual lumber or just want to kill a few hours looking at beautiful things go by and see this hidden gem.

View attachment 221958View attachment 221959View attachment 221960View attachment 221961View attachment 221962View attachment 221963View attachment 221964View attachment 221965View attachment 221966
How is the pricing?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
It depends, small pieces are a little high, larger pieces are less than I have seen other places, there’s no cheap wood. Considering it is mostly exotic high end furniture wood I think fairly reasonable for what you are getting.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
I think their stock changes a ton so the pricing may vary quite a bit. Additionally you can buy a diesel engine for your locomotive if it's still there!
Did they have any tools when you went @Mike Davis ?

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
Was there recently, amazing selection of exotic woods as well as native wood. Unbelievable slabs and amazing curiosities. Not cheap but some negotiation is possible. Mark is a character.

ednl

ed
Senior User
Been there... done that a few years ago. Picked up some very nice morado at a very nice price - at that time. But you better wear a respirator when working with morado.

MEdwards

Maurice
Corporate Member
I have been there quite a few times. The inventory does vary quite a bit from visit to visit. However, some great wood available.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS