Anyone Use Resilient Channel For Soundproofing a Shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtrager

New User
Mitch
I am a week away from beginning to build my shop in the basement of my home. I have only insulation now on the ceiling between the joists and was considering using RC and 1-2 layers of 5/8 sheetrock (Master Bedroom & Bath are above the shop). My concern was how to hang an air filter, DC ductwork and a shop heater from the ceiling and how to put electrical boxes up there for lighting if the joists will be almost 2" above the ceiling. If anyone has use RC, how did you resolve these issues?

Thanks in advance - I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Mitch Trager

M

McRabbet

I've never used it, but it should work fine for your application. Have you considered putting in a suspended ceiling? I have a similar situation in my basement and plan to put in 2 x 2 tiles along with the 2 x 4 four lamp troffers I already have installed. It will make access to electrical boxes lots easier (my lights are installed on chains and each has a 6' whip) and also adds good sound attenuation. We have it in our family room that is below our Master BR and you can't hear even loud TV from one to the other. My shop is under our LR and guest BR's and the only sound that makes it through the existing 6" insulation is my compressor -- and I don't have the drop ceiling installed yet.

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I remember a Woodsmith article on this stuff a ways back. If you screw into the joist you defeat the purpose of the channel.

Dust piping isn't heavy so you could just screw into the channel or use some type of sheet rock fastener like toggle bolts. That would probably hold your air cleaner as well.

My .02.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors