Another Top Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Well, we've got that 5' (Yep, I said 5 foot!) table top glued up and the 30" Lazy Susan also. If you remember my earlier post, this is a 5' ROUND table top. NOW----------

The client wants this on a pedestal with claw feet. No problem ordering those. And, as Walnut Jerry said a few days ago, "Now the fun begins!"

We are open to ALL suggestions as to how to mount this 5' oak circle on this pedestal and make it stable enough for folks to eat on. (And probably rest their elbows on too, since we are "Country Folks" up here.

Your comments and input are solicited.

Thanx.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What I would do is to make a cross shaped bracket out of 8/4 stock 3-5" wide, mortised and tenoned into the pedestal. Kinda like this - bottom one

tradlg_draw.jpg

The 8/4 stock should be in an edge drain orientation to the top, and tapered as is gets to the outside of the top to reduce knee knockin'. You can drill oversized holes through the bracing and use long screws with washers in larger counter bores to attach the top to the bracing allowing for movement.
Dave:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Reggie, I'm not an expert, but DaveO's response reminds me of my dining room table. It's an original Stickley, and the base is similar to Dave's drawing.

If you want I can post some pix and dimensions.

Scott

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Scott and Dave: I'd appreciate that. This is a "one of a kind" and we sure don't want to screw up any part of it. I have a 48" round table, but that 5' booger is some kinda wide!

The pedestal I bought from VanDyke is 8 3/4" and the claw foot legs measure 34 1/2" in diameter, so the dimensions should be OK?

Any ideas on how to add a decent looking "skirt" to hide some of the support work? I have no idea how to make a round skirt, so I'm thinking a square one. Seems like something is needed to hide that "raw" 3/4" edge and make it look more proportional. Your thoughts?

J

jeff...

Any ideas on how to add a decent looking "skirt" to hide some of the support work? I have no idea how to make a round skirt, so I'm thinking a square one. Seems like something is needed to hide that "raw" 3/4" edge and make it look more proportional. Your thoughts?

I think JCPenny has skirts to hide that 3/4" raw edge your talking about. I ain't never seen a square one, but I have seen lots of round ones, they are quite proportional too and come in many different sizes and colors.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Reggie, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail the pix directly to you. I'll also post a few, but figure that you could benefit from the larger size / higher resolution of the originals.

Scott

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You can make a round skirt out of plywood. Cut slots into it with your saw blade that do not come through the outer veneer and it will bend around a form so you can attach it to the top.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User

Reggie----------There is a plywood available called "bending board" made just for applications such as you mention. If I remember correctly, it is made in different thicknesses. It comes in 4x8 sheets and can be bought to either bend one direction or the other( 4' way or 8' way). You would probably have to put veneer over it to match the solid wood.

What Travis stated will work, and there is a method to figure out how close to put the kerfs for a given radius so when you bend the arc the kerfs close up on the inside of the arc and you regain some of the strength from making all the cuts.

Now go have fun.

Jerry

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
I buy some of the bending plywood Jerry is taking about from time to time at Charlotte Hardwoods. They got it listed as Bendable Lauan. It
cost about $27/4x8 sheet. They will ask you if you want it to bend into a 4ft tube or an 8ft tube. ( Has to do with grain orientation) You'll want the 4ft tube stuff.

Also, there are bendable sheets of material sold that have been kerf cut and all you have to do is apply veneer. They probably would be easier to put veneer on. I can't remember what name it goes by right at the moment. I'll try to remember to look it up when I get to the shop.
Rob

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
THanks folks, and keep the info coming! I always get what I need here on NCWW! :-D

This project is WAY outside the scope of "normal" for us! :confused1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS