Another plane gloat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptully

New User
Chris
I got this one almost a year ago, but have not had time to clean it up yet. I found 22" bench smoothing plane at the Virginia Bazaar (just North of Richmond on I-95) for $150, and was seriously tempted but didn't have that much cash on hand that day. So when I got home I started surfing eBay and found essentially the same thing for $20! It is (came) fully disassembled but well oiled. It looks to have well used and well taken care of. I'll post pics as I start cleaning it up and putting it to use.

I'll probably be asking questions about this process shortly. I did see Ozzie-X's comments on tuning up a plane, so that should get me started!

Chris

WNC_Dave

New User
David
Very nice find. I am going to start looking for planes soon. I only have a cheepo right now, but want to work on getting a good set.

Dave

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Here is a picture for you. Just arrived last week. Full set of H&R planes, #5 thru 18. Very sweet!
IMAG0403.jpg

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Sorry for the picture, but it is an impressive stack even without posing. This set came from the famous Patrick Leech of Blood and Gore fame. Full sets are unusual and the numbering on this one is a bit odd. The smallest is a #5, but it measures to a 3/16" radius. In most British H&R sets the 3/16 plane is numbered #3. This set is also missing the #8 pair (5/16"). In spite of the quirky numbering, this is a really nice user set. It has been used, but not abused. The blades are all sharp enough to use without honing.

Here is the good news. The blades are slightly skew and york pitch, which means that the set was used for cabinetmaking. If you have ever tried to use a moulding plane on cherry, then you know the value of york pitch for preventing tearout. As for the missing pair, I intend to try my hand at planemaking and make them. Does not sound too hard and would be a cool project.

I guess now I need to brush up my old H&R set and get them ready for a yard sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS