Am I being to picky????

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey all. You probably have seen my posting about the carter upgrades that I have made to my band saw.
Well I have used it, but I had problems with mounting the upper roller bearings guide.
Not really a mounting issue as it is an alignment issue.
Take a look at this picture:

If you look at the rear where the guide post is about to enter the guide post cup. You will see that there is an offset of 3/16". When mounted, I have to set the entire assmebly at an angle to the blade, inorder for the rear thrust bearing to make any contact with the back of the blade.
WHich means that after setting up all of the clearances with the side guide bearings and the thrust bearings, that if and when the blade rides on them it is not meeting with full bearing surface contact. Just a small portion of the bearing.
Now given this would not stop me from using it, But I believe it's not correct.

Your Thoughts???

Oh I have been in contact with Carter Techs. they sent me a center drilled guide cup. I looked at it and didn't even give it the time of day. As if I had of used it, it would have offset the entire setup even worse.
I have sent in another set of pics to the techs, hopefully they have an answer. If not I will take my guide post and guide cup to a machine shop and have them make me one that is dilled right.

T

toolferone

You are not being to picky. It will not work right the way it is set up. The blade should be hitting the center of the rear bearing. Your picture says it all and Carter should understand the issue by the pic. Let us know how it goes. If they can't make it right you need a refund on the bearing set.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Maybe it isn't the guides, maybe it is the guide post. Have you checked to see if the post is traveling straight up and down?

Put a framing square on the table (clamp it some way if you can) and lower the post all the way down. Measure distance from the post at the bottom to the square. Then raise the post all the way up and do it again. They should match.

I would not be happy either and I would want it to be right. At least for me personally, I have to be careful of what I think is the problem versus what it actually is as I have been fooled more times than once.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First thing is, how did the original guide work? Get Carter to send you a deminsioned drawing of the guide assembly. Get out those $6.99 HF dial calipers and measure your guide to see if it matches specs. I'll bet it doesn't.

Sully

New User
jay
I have carter guides on my Ridgid BS and it took some time to get 'em set up but I don't remember having this alignment issue. I can't recall the exact setup of the guides from memory (will check when I get home after work). Isn't the thrust bearing laterally adjustable?

For sure, the lower two side bearings can be adjusted laterally. Or have you adjusted the thrust bearing as far to the left as it will go? I'll take a look at mine later today.

Do check the guide post though, especially if you have an aftermarket riser kit installed. Any lateral play in the guide post will be magnified by a riser kit.:oops:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
The wheel is offset from the guide post. It's made that way, yes that is true. They are both parallel to each other
I did check that it is uniformly offset the entire run from upper most position to the lowest position. Which is shown in the picture.
I don't have a problem with any angle that is bad casting.
I believe it is not in the bearings as it is in with the offset of the rear bracket that attach's to the guide post not having the correct offset for this saw.
The tech was in contact with me today and told me that they believe that they can work it out.
I wonder how many other 14" Grizzly owners are out there that have had this problem, but not said anything and just used it as is:eusa_thin.

But then again, It could be that my particular saw has a uniform guidepost to blade offset that is NOT standard. If this is the case and Carter can't fix me up with an guide post bracket with my offset, then I will have one made. The reason being, is that, then it would not be their fault. It would be the fault of who knows.
But I will keep the set up and have a guide bracket made, cause it is still much better than the original garbage that these things came with.

Sully

New User
jay
Okay, I took a look at my setup (sorry no pic, late and tired from long week). You're right the thrust bearing is not laterally adjustable. Mine clearly is lined up okay parallel to the blade and guide post. I don't seem to have as large an offset from the guide post to the blade though. It is notable that I have a Grizzly riser kit on a Ridgid BS, so it's not really comparing apples to apples. I hope they can get it sorted out for you.
J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS