African Padauk

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have been using A Padauk on a few projects recently and I like using a mix of Tung/Blo mix. The African Paduak seems to take forever to dry. Any suggestions out there or is that normal because of the makeup of the wood. It also takes wipe-on Poly longer to dry....stays tacky for days.........Thanks guys

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that Padauk is a very open pored wood. There might be finish collecting in the pores that is slowing the drying process. I don't know it to be a particularly oily wood, that could be hampering the curing process :eusa_thin
Try to keep your finished pieces out of direct sunlight. Padauk loses it's reddish-orange color quickly with exposure to UV light, and turns a less attractive brownish color :BangHead:

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
BLO doesn't work too well on padauk. Some of it is just too oily. At least that has been my experience. :eusa_doh:

The first piece I built with shellac had the same problem as you. One area of the jewelry box just wouldn't cure. I ended up wiping down with mineral spirits, waited for the mineral spirits to evaporate and then hit it with a seal coat of shellac. I have used padauk on several projects since my first experience and just spray lacquer. I like it.

The color does darken with time and exposure to UV. I have been careful to keep padauk projects away from direct sunlight and so far they are doing fine.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS