Advice on transporting a jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Looks like I am going to be the proud owner of a new to me Woodtek jointer. I am just wondering what is the best way to transport it. I have a Scion XB and it may fit in the back, but I may need to remove the top. What should I pay special attention to?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
When you say removing the top, you mean taking it off the stand? That shouldn't be too hard, usually just four bolts. Just be careful when lifting/ carrying the business part. You want pick it up in the middle, not by the ends so you don't misalign the infeed & outfeed tables. Obviously, you can't carry it any kind of distance that way, so bring a a dolly to transport it.

Oh, and don't drop it. And don't lose the bolts. And don't try to reassemble it by yourself. Get a friend to help. Not that it's impossible, but why risk hurting yourself, having it slip at the last moment, deny yourself gloating opportunity etc.?

JohnW

New User
John
Gary, What size jointer?

The easiest way to do this is to rent/hire/aquire a truck with a drop gate (hydraulic lift) It might save a back injury.

If a motorized lift is out....Depending on how many "friends" you can round up, I'd take the fence off and try to lift the rest in one piece into a pickup. If you have to fit it in a smaller space, remove the base and motor.

I'd recommend checking and aligning the infeed/outfeed tables regardless. Learning how and why these are aligned will help you become a better jointer, and a better all round human.:gar-La;

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I thought you were going to remove the top on your car. I wondered how you would do that! A truck with a lift would be worth the cost - those things are heavy if they are very big.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I thought you were going to remove the top on your car. I wondered how you would do that! A truck with a lift would be worth the cost - those things are heavy if they are very big.

OK, working in a body shop that was my first thought too. We remove those tops daily:gar-La;. Make sure you got the welder handy to put it back together:gar-Bi.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Any chance you could haul it upside down? You could take off the fence and maybe do it that way. Set it on some styrofoam or cardboard. Most of the jointers I've seen are top heavy. If height is the problem, then by all means take the top off. Otherwise, be sure and strap it down good so it doesn't tip over.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I hauled an 8" jointer back from Virginia last year in the back of a Tacoma. Two of us loaded it in with the help of a ramp and a come-along to coax it up. I had originally planned to separate the jointer from the base, but decided that it wasn't necessary. It did ride fairly high and I was worried about it being top heavy, but my impressive collection of ratchet straps made it part of the truck. Heavy machinery has a lot of momentum if you let it move around so make sure it's stable. Needless to say, I nervously checked my mirrors a lot.

I would doubt that an 8" jointer would fit in your Scion without major disassembly. If you are getting a 6" jointer it should be no problem but you would have to take it off the base. The guy that bought my 6" put the whole think in the back of his Cadillac Sedan. If you do a partial disassembly when you pick it up, make sure that you keep track of all of the small pieces lest you leave something behind.

Good luck

-G

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Gary,
regardless of what you move it in,remove it from the base and if you have a 2 by 8 the same length as the jointer use it and bolt the thing down to it.That way you have a way to grab it on both ends.You absolutely do not want to carry it by the ends.You want to get it home with the infeed and outfeed tables lined up like they should be.
Greg

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
One thing you don't do is load an 8" jointer into the back of a pickup truck under a shell with a back glass window. DAMHIKT:BangHead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS