Accuburr

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
To see if it is quicker, thought I'd give an AccuBurr a try.
First impressions: Not impressed. Even the course groove gives a very small burr. Consistent, though small. Testing on some walnut and got shavings, but lighter than I am used to making. Far more testing to come. Not sure it is really quicker once you are proficient at sharpening a scraper the old school way. I use the WoodByWright rod. Works better than using an old valve stem. I was first playing with an old Stanley scraper and not my "good" ones.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Worked with it more today. Made small knobs to hold it. Still not impressed. Burr very small and it seems to slice off bits of it. I am not sure even if you had trouble with the traditional method this would be any easier. Working on some walnut, I get shavings but barely larger than dust. Finish is no finer than with larger shavings using a regular rod. Going to contact them to see what they say.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Scott, on SMC a member tested and reviewed the AccuBurr.

The long and short of the review, the member liked the tool, but suggested if one wanted a larger burr, one should draw out the steel as if preparing a card scraper with a standard burnisher first, then use AccuBurr..

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Scott, on SMC a member tested and reviewed the AccuBurr.

The long and short of the review, the member liked the tool, but suggested if one wanted a larger burr, one should draw out the steel as if preparing a card scraper with a standard burnisher first, then use AccuBurr..
Tried that. It shaved off much of the burr.

peltona

Andrew
User
I bought the AccuBurr with handles about a year back. Prior to that I tried making my own tool from a 5/16"x6" solid carbide bar and turned a handle for it from osage orange and used part of an old air compressor fitting as the ferrule. For me, I get the best results when I start with the AccuBurr to start hook and use this tool to finish it so I get the shavings I'm looking for. Not sure if I'm doing it right but I eventually get there. I like the old valve stem idea, I'll have to get one somehow.
1707659951697.png

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The rod James Wright sells has a slight texture that is claimed to help pull the metal over. All I know is for me, it works better. I started with a screw driver, went to the short flat ones. Never got very far. Valve stem worked better but before I made a nice handle, I bought the rod from Wright and turned a handle for it. I can get a nice burr. I usually do bigger on one side than the other.
If I had to pre-draw or touch up, then the entire point of the Accuburr is lost. It's reason for being is quicker.

If you get there, then you are doing it correctly. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors