A New Coffee Table

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Someone gave us a slab of what must have been a cookie from a large Redwood limb and my better half decided she wanted a new coffee table. Here are a few pictures. The legs and base support are all dowel joints and the feet are attached with dominos. None of the legs meet the cross members at a 90 degree angle to every cut is some kind of odd angle, but one that was easy to capture by simply penciling a line with the legs in the future position. The cross support would have been just as simple except that I decided it would look better with the corners up instead of flat. That made the cut somewhat difficult and not quite perfect. Fun project and she is happy so that is all that counts. Oh, I finished with poly. Redwood soaked it up like a sponge so the grain is actually enhanced. It took almost a full quart to finish the top!

Attachments

• IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 91
  • coffetablebase.jpg
    coffetablebase.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 91
  • coffetableleg.jpg
    coffetableleg.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks great, are the live edges that dark naturally?
The outer bark had been removed long ago and these edges had been wire brushed but not down to the inner layer of wood. The color was highly varied in the edge layer so I made a stain that matched the darkest section of the edge and lightly shaded the remainder so that it was the same. The legs were then stained with the same stain to achieve uniform look.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors