8" Diamond sharpening plates on sale

Echd

C
User
That is a good price for DMT, but as an alternative Amazon has Japanese made Atomas from 40 to 54 bucks each.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Just an FYI—Amazon had the DMT 8x3 for $48-52, which seems like it’s about the same price as the sale and the Atom stones.

Is there something different about the DMT stones from Sharpening supplies and are the atom stones any better than DMT?

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nothing different that I know of regarding the DMT plates. I like Sharpening Supplies. Besides the products they sell their site has a lot of good information. I was mostly commenting on the DMT plates. I have no experience with Atom.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
For what it's worth, I bought these for my class with Mike months ago for the same price. I think it's a mark up to mark down deal. They work well but I would not rush to get them at this price since it seems to always be there...

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is there something different about the DMT stones from Sharpening supplies and are the atom stones any better than DMT?
The few people that I know who've used both, prefer Atoma to DMT. Just make sure you're looking at the complete stone (base plus replaceable plate) and not a replacement plate by itself

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt brings up an interesting point. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples on these products as far price and actual product. In the race to safe couple bucks we can get lost in the forest of products being offered. With that said the price quoted in Jim’s post is what I paid over ten years ago. It’s good to see that something is holding consistent in a world of rising costs.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
This is what I see on Amazon for DMT (seems like it’s the same with the exception of the course stone):

DMT D8F https://a.co/d/hE9yWM7

1700655181754.jpeg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like the same ones to me, only Amazon doesn't include the extra coarse plate. I don't use the extra coarse (or even coarse) plates for general maintenance, but these are nice to have when it comes time to do a deep sharpening on a chisel or plane iron (e.g., a blade gets nicked).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was going to jump on this since one of my old DMT DuoSharp (the plastic style)
But I just saw the Woodcraft flyer (sale starts 11/24)- they have the Woodriver Diamond stone set (only 3 "stones") 8" X 2 3/4" normally $99 for $49!
Not familiar with the WoodRiver quality... so take it for what it is worth...

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank Wood river is not bad some items are better than others. it would be worth checking into them to see how this products stands up.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank Wood river is not bad some items are better than others. it would be worth checking into them to see how this products stands up.
I JUST bought them, now to see how long it takes to evaluate them... Every time I buy something it seems to work well or as well as I expected at first and then as time goes by I see all the flaws or that I bought $49 stones rather than $200... hmmmm

Echd

C
User
To be honest I have the Atomas and I also have a couple sets of the inexpensive Chinesium ones that run from coarse to fine. Even the cheap ones work very well. I suspect the wood river ones will also be just fine.

I recall reading about differences in durability between polycrystalline and monocrystaline diamonds being used, but they all seem to work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors