5000 BTU's is Too Much

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
On Friday afternoon, I finally got my AC unit mounted in my shop. I have had the unit for two years. Last year I made the thru the wall sleeve, but couldn't seem to get enough time to install it. After the installation on Friday, I found out that a 5000 BTU unit is too large for my shop. The unit quickly cooled my shop down to 69 degrees. It was 78 degrees before starting the unit. But I needed it more for the dehumidification than cooling. Due to insulation in my shop, the unit doesn't run long enough. My shop is 24' X 28', with R-30 / R-19 in ceiling, insulated roll up doors, and 1" thick foam sheathing on the walls. It is also located under shade trees. In order to get rid of humidity using AC, I could "kill hogs" in my shop. I guess I will have to run dehumidifier to get rid of the moisture, and run AC to get rid of heat from dehumidifier. At least my shop is COOL, even though it is still humid.

Glennbear

Glenn
I am surprised at the performance you got. I have a 24x24 shop with R-30 ceiling (8 foot) and R-13 walls. The 16 foot OHD is insulated with rigid foam. I have a 6500 BTU window unit and with these 90 degree days it cannot keep up with a machine or two running. Was the 78 degrees the shop temp or outside temp? According to the charts I have read a 5000 btu unit is undersized for your floor area :dontknow: Do you have any windows? My shop has three single pane mobile home type windows about 24x24, I keep the blinds shut to prevent radiation but perhaps I need to double pane them :icon_scra I should note that my shop is painted white but gets 0% shade. Sizing link :
http://www.warmair.com/html/window_air_cond.htm

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Unless you're wanting your shop Mojave Desert dry, running a dehumidifier AND an A/C unit is redundant. Part of the way an A/C unit works is to lower the dew point by removing excess moisture. Save the dehumidifier for the days when it's cool AND damp. Glad to hear somebody's staying cool.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I am surprised at the performance you got. I have a 24x24 shop with R-30 ceiling (8 foot) and R-13 walls. The 16 foot OHD is insulated with rigid foam. I have a 6500 BTU window unit and with these 90 degree days it cannot keep up with a machine or two running. Was the 78 degrees the shop temp or outside temp? According to the charts I have read a 5000 btu unit is undersized for your floor area :dontknow: Do you have any windows? My shop has three single pane mobile home type windows about 24x24, I keep the blinds shut to prevent radiation but perhaps I need to double pane them :icon_scra I should note that my shop is painted white but gets 0% shade. Sizing link :
http://www.warmair.com/html/window_air_cond.htm
The 78 was in the shop, it was over 90 outside. First of the week, when it was in the fifties, I opened doors at night and cut on fans to "pre cool" the shop. I have no windows, so as to keep unwanted guests out. I also have two ninety pound plus dogs which help keep unwanted guests out. The two overhead doors are insulated from the factory. Personel door is insulated steel, with half glass. My shop is almost completely shaded this time of the year. In the winter, sunlight streams in the front doors. It was planned to take advantage of solar gain during winter. When I built my place, I didn't skimp on insulation, particularly the foam board under the siding. I have the same problem with my house. Sizing tables call for a 3.0 ton heat pump. I installed a 2.5 ton unit. It is too large also. When I replace it, I will go back with a 2.0 ton unit.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I have a 20x20 shop, fully insulated with several windows. I have a sears unit that mounts into the back wall that has heat and air built into it. I have been using it going on three years now. I have always been happy with the unit. This summer when we had the upper 90 degree days, I had the air running in it usual setting when I discovered wet insulation directly in front of the unit. Panic time. I discovered that I had condensation developing. I turned the setting back a tad and got a little warmer but would rather give up a little cooling in order to save my insulation. Lorraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS