$12.59 Steam Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I'm repairing an old ice bucket that is held together with hickory hoops. I have make one of the missing hoops. I needed a steam box so I scrounged around the shop and found some pipe I had left over. Had to buy a cap and a clean out plug to fit it, thus the $12.59. Found an old pressure cooker that LOML is afraid to use, she thinks it might blow up (if you ever have seen my wife cook you'll understand why).

Drilled some 1/8" holes and inserted some bamboo skewers to hold the wood off the bottom of the PVC pipe. The 3/8" supply line was a perfect fit into the lid of the pressure cooker once I removed the stem for the pressure valve, just threaded it right in. Drilled a 3/8" hole in the cap to insert the supply line. I did not glue the caps on as a pressure release. I blew the cap of twice until I figured out how loose to screw in the clean out plug to let pressure escape.

Put the cooker on the grill, brought the water to a boil and 1 hour later I'm bending wood. Sometimes I surprise myself.

Steam_Box.JPG

Bent_Hickory.JPG

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ya sure ya ain't got a lil' corn mash in that there pressure cooker? :gar-La;
Looks like it got the job done, though!:icon_thum

Glennbear

Glenn
I love this kind of inexpensive innovative engineering :icon_thum Apparently a lot us think alike judging from the previous posts, I was going to tell you to watch out for the revonooers. :gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now THAT is an astounding piece of engineering! Although I'm disappointed no duct tape was involved. Great imagination and great execution.

Now go post that picture on the various Internets and encourage "what is it?" contests :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors