Search results

1. J

Festool TS 55 teardown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezp-_DcUgg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mo2L_jFKmc
  2. J

Bit of a life update

Hey, y'all! I haven't been around in a while. A year ago, I moved to Seattle. I now live on a tugboat, Arthur Foss, which is the oldest wood tugboat afloat in the world. I also work on a wood hulled steamship, the SS Virginia V, where I get to play with the 113 year old tripple expansion...
  3. J

Going to be representing NCWW in LA

I'll be starting a new job out in Los Angeles come the beginning of January. I should be moving out there in a couple of weeks. John.
  4. J

Live in Raleigh now

Hey, all! I moved to Raleigh from Fayetteville a week ago due to new job with Red Hat. I figure I'll let y'all know so we can figure out some mischief to get in to. John.
  5. J

Anyone around Fayetteville able to do resaw and plane one board?

I have one maple board that I'd like to resaw, it should be just thick enough at 4/4 to saw down the middle. It's 4' long and about 1' wide. Once that's done, I'd like to plane the two resulting pieces down to 1/8 or so. Thanks much, John.
  6. J

Thickness gauge?

Any tips on making a thickness gauge that can be used for fiddle making? Needs are long reach and ability to reach 'over' the edges of the recess.
  7. J

In Charlotte this weekend

I'll be in Charlotte this weekend if anyone wants to meet up in the evenings. By day I'll be at Southeast Linux Fest.
  8. J

PE offer Fayetteville to Charlotte or return

This coming Thursday or Friday I'll be heading to Charlotte for South East Linux Fest. I have to ride the Greyhound in order to get Red Hat sponsorship, so I'll need it to be small.
  9. J

HO wood kit, 1890's refrigerator WIP

I'm working on this for the Fayetteville transportation museum. Still a fair piece of the detailing left.
  10. J

Anyone going to the picnic passing through Fayetteville?

I'm looking for a ride since I cannot aford gas. My cell is 252 725 0871 Thanks in advance, John.
  11. J

Might be moving to Seattle

So, this past week I received a job offer from Amazon to do Quality Assurance. If everything works out then I'll be moving to Seattle.
  12. J

Wanted to sell or trade: 36" red cedar door, upper half window

Hi, all! Anyone interested in a 36" wide cedar door? The upper half is a window. What I'm looking for is some pretty wood to make a couple of smallish instrument cases, preferably 1/4 QS. That said, I wouldn't turn down quatersawn 10" W poplar. Otherwise, make me an offer.
  13. J

Anyone in Fayetteville willing to rip some wood?

All, While I generally enjoy working with hand tools, cutting a few hundred planks for models by hand gets old after a while if done with a hand ripsaw. What I'm wondering is if anyone would be willing to let me rip the boards I'm starting with on a table saw to save me some work? Thanks much, John
  14. J

Fayetteville gettogether

Anyone want to meet up on Saturday, 10 September somewhere? Preferably somewhere I can get to by bus.
  15. J

Working on (Finally) organizing my tools and getting the shop clean

I've finally started working on getting my shop cleaned up and my tools organized. I've still more tools to get put up (chisels, etc.). But, it's coming along.
  16. J

PE Request, Fayetteville to Morehead City

The cargo is simple: me. I would like to go see a good friend, but my truck was stolen a couple of months ago. I'd like to get to her place fairly early in the morning (9 or 10-ish) and come back here that evening. I'm willing to pay for gas. I'd really like to do it this coming Saturday...
  17. J

Jamestown Distributors fastener buy

All, I'm about to put in an order for some bronze wood screws from Jamestown Distributors if anyone is interested in going in to save shipping. We could then PE things around as necessary. I'll be getting oval and flat head slotted screws in varying sizes in 100 packs (all of my fine...
  18. J

The Gourd Banjo Thread

Well, I've started working on a gourd banjo. So far my progress has been to wash the gourd with a bleachy mixture. Since then, it's been raining and I haven't been out in the shop, but it should be dry by now. Updates will come.
  19. J

Blank for Banjo neck, preferably maple and rawhide.

Hey, all, does anyone know where I could find some nice curly maple that would make a good blank for a banjo neck? I'm thinking something four foot long by three inches square. I'd prefer local to NC. Also, anyone know where a smallish bit of rawhide (dear or cat) could be found for a banjo...
  20. J

French steam powered submarine Narval, 1889 in 1:100

My current project is a model of the French submarine Narval. First I drew it up three dimensionally in AutoCAD: Then I printed out templates for the stations and profile, glued them to 1/8" aircraft ply, and cut them out with a coping saw. I glued them up together and started planking...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors