Search results

1. Z

He has a long wait ahead

Also look up “helical cutter head,” which is what Whitney called them. Someone listed a Whitney with that cutterhead today and I thought of this thread! There’s also an old thread on here talking about helical cutter heads...
  2. Z

Need advice re new rock maple butcher block countertops

I’ve done spots, but I generally just redo the entire surface. A light sanding is what I’ve done with a high grit paper. Here are instructions directly waterlox - Refreshing or Recoating a Waterlox® Finished Surface - Waterlox Coatings Corporation. I have finished the underside and used...
  3. Z

The original sealer and finish.
  4. Z

I’m a fan of waterlox for countertops. It will darken slightly and reapplying simple. I’ve used it on birch and cherry countertops for kitchens and baths. I’ve also used it on a pine top kitchen table.
  5. Z

Woodworkers Express Economy Slides

Has anyone used the economy under mount drawer slides from woodworkers express? https://www.woodworkerexpress.com/we-preferred-0684250303961-6-75lb-soft-close-undermount-drawer-slides.html Price seems good and everything but screws is included.
  6. Z

Thoughts on old New Yankee Workshop episodes

I still enjoy watching the New Yankee workshop and revisit it a few times a year. Yes some of the furniture is outsets but the back story and tool use is still applicable. I also enjoy seeing how his tool budget clearly increases over the years! It seems like ETV / PBS tried to reboot the style...
  7. Z

Stuck Table Saw Blade

I almost had this happen on my Unisaw then other day when I went to use a thin kerf blade without the washer. The nut started to get right to turn without touching the blade. My suggestion is to raise the blade and wedge something like a piece of metal in a blade gullet (and double check...
  8. Z

Problem With 14" Bandsaw

It looks like someone is making an improved upper hinge assembly for the delta, which I’m guessing also works with the imports: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114043478352?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=xCaZC84MRd-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=t9M3PFspSc6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY...
  9. Z

Question about Waterlox

I too wonder how shellac will work with waterlox. I thought the “original” waterlox, now “sealer and finish” achived durability by soaking into the wood and then building a finish on top. I wonder how well waterlox actually binds to shellac.
  10. Z

Dust collection

Here are a couple of threads to get some ideas: https://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=246308&hilit=Unisaw+dust+collection https://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=231685
  11. Z

Buckeye turned Tarheel

Welcome! I’m from Columbus!
  12. Z

Black melamine 4x8?

I’ve noticed a few posts that have referenced Wurth ceasing sales to small accounts as of 8/2021 (per creasman, post 7). https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/source-for-melamine.78296/#post-727726 Disappointing since they have access to a lot of stock!
  13. Z

Kitchen Cabinet Opinions

Thanks Bruce! How does the MDF hold up in a kitchen environment? The panels in my current kitchen cabinets are MDF core and have “bubbles” slightly from chipping and water intrusion at the raised panel edge. When’s the last time you used the varathane diamond floor gloss? I’ve looked on the US...
  14. Z

Kitchen Cabinet Opinions

Thanks Jim! The Scott Brown kitchen is very much the look I’m going for with the cabinets. I wonder how the unfinished plywood edges will hold up near the sink and dishwasher? I refaced my last house with basic panel/frame doors, so I’m familiar with making those (picture below) with table saw...
  15. Z

Kitchen Cabinet Opinions

Thank you! I’m not set on birch, it was more of what I can find local to me that is prefinished. I like something with a uniform grain that I plan to apply a water based finish if using unfinished ply. $175 a sheet (I need 7-8 sheets) is definitely better than $100+ per door. I’ve had good...
  16. Z

Plywood or Veneer

I’m curious about the differences/advantages of one of the other as well. When I priced veneer sheets, plywood comes out much cheaper and is less work! It seems like staring with plywood that has already been veneered on both sides would be much easier and with one sheet the grain matching...
  17. Z

Kitchen Cabinet Opinions

Thanks for the suggestion. When I priced them I was looking at $100+ per door (prefinished birch ply is $64 a sheet). I also couldn’t get the grain matching that I want.
  18. Z

Kitchen Cabinet Opinions

I’m hopefully refacing our kitchen cabinets in the near future and am looking for opinions on a several options. My goal is to go with a more modern natural wood look. I’m thinking of getting 3/4 prefinished birch plywood and edge banding for the doors and drawers (picture below with grain...
  19. Z

Oak? Identification

Thanks to all! I’m really leaning toward Maple the more pictures I look at and poplar seems scarce on the coast.
  20. Z

Oak? Identification

Merry Chsristmas! It doesn’t feel heavy like oak, but the sawyer said oak. It’s from the coast near Charleston, SC. Any ideas what it is?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors