Search results

1. A

Piano added piece - achieving the gloss black?

And there ya go. I knew Ernie would come through!
  2. A

This is my first epoxy pour.

One of the best sources of epoxy pour info is Blacktail Studio on YouTube. He does everything from smaller pours to pours on large $10K - $20K+ slabs. He also has a few free instructional videos. Check out his excellent videos, a good way to kill a few afternoons! Also, check out his shop-...
  3. A

Calculating BF used to make a cutting board

I believe they are posted somewhere on the forum, but I haven't gone looking for them. I got the design and construction methods from videos by a Russian YouTuber mtm wood. Here is just one example of the many he has posted: He has some really nice 3D endgrain boards. He started out...
  4. A

Calculating BF used to make a cutting board

Building end-grain, 3D design cutting boards takes a lot of board feet, especially if you start with enough wood for 3+ boards which is the best and most economical way to do it, (but not that much!) Otherwise you will have too much waste.
  5. A

Piano added piece - achieving the gloss black?

Contact our resident master harpsichord maker, Ernie Miller
  6. A

Anyone had this issue before?

Should have used white oak. Red oak has pore that are open like a straw. Also, wrong choice of coloring- it obviously was able to leach out of the epoxy. You can use Transtint powder or even plain graphite powder. Any place nearby that has a wide-belt sander you can take it to to take off a...
  7. A

JIG IT

I haven't used it but it seems to be a lot of money if you are only mortising hinges for one or two projects. The price does not include the templates, of which they have for just five specific styles of Rockler only hinges.
  8. A

What color workshop floor would you do?

Is this a thin, almost clear concrete sealer (which helps the concrete cure) or are you talking about a paint, epoxy, or rubber product? Whatever you use, add a good, coarse, and durable non-skid material to the mix. My second story shop flooring is Advantech subfloor. It is a particle...
  9. A

Flat Top Grind Table Saw Blade

Are you looking for a single blade or dado stack? The Infinity is supposedly pretty good. All blade manufacturers (Forrest, Freud, Whiteside, Amana, Ridge Carbide, etc.) have a version. Also, if you have a spare blade due for sharpening, you can have it sharpened with a flat top grind.
  10. A

Harvey Woodworking - New Product Launch

While good, I find it lacking in a few areas and it is certainly not worth over $1000. Over 10 years ago, I started designing a (better) fence after the IBox went to market, but got side-tracked by other projects and life. My design takes a different approach to fence placement, gross and...
  11. A

Goodbye - sort of

Best of luck. Do you remember and can you handle cold? o_O
  12. A

Name for these? (Twist-in T-track bolts)

Like others have said, a drop-in hole at the end of the track or in the middle somewhere (grind away the track flange in that spot). I make my own using a grinder and a carriage bolt.
  13. A

Why doesn't your breaker trip?

If you "want" to pop the breaker, remove the inlet pipe from a 3 hp DC blower with big 14" impeller. o_O
  14. A

Jim Byrnes Thickness Sander - Review

I guess the ends of long and thin boards, if not supported, will tend to droop before and after the platen and that would cause the middle to rise against the sanding drum. What would be needed are springloaded infeed and outfeed rollers positioned fairly close to the drum like the big boys and...
  15. A

Jim Byrnes Thickness Sander - Review

Hey Ernie, someone with a fraction of your patience and skill and who is always looking for a way to do things faster, has a "production" question- Have you considered cutting to rough thickness and width on the TS like you currently do, but waiting to cut them to the 7" length until they are...
  16. A

Ernie does it again!!

New Bern Tryon Palace receives handcrafted harpsichord donation https://www.wnct.com/local-news/new-bern/tryon-palace-receives-handcrafted-harpsichord-donation/
  17. A

Banggood domino machine

I don't know if anyone cares, though they market some good stuff at low prices, and as others have pointed out here, Banggood rips off a lot of patented US tools and accessories, especially Fesstool, Woodpeckers, etc. There was a long thread about such on the Festoolownersgroup.
  18. A

Plumbing Bathroom in Bonus Room Trusses

Where are you going to run the 4" soil drain? Is your shop heated? What is the thickness (framing) of the exterior shop walls, 2X4 or 2X6? Generally you can't run water lines nor soil drain in an exterior wall, or ceiling or wall that adjoins an unheated space if you can do it any other way...
  19. A

new turning

Wow!!! The 3D effect is amazing. The lamination schedule must have been a killer. It makes my 3D cutting boards look like child's play!!
  20. A

Table Saw Throat Plate

. . . . When I turn on the saw a current sensor triggers an electro-pneumatic solenoid valve that ports 15 psi air to a pneumatic cylinder which opens the saw's cabinet blast gate (it is under the floor.) The DC is also activated and draws air/dust from the cabinet. There is a small magnetic...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS