Search results

1. tvrgeek

New sprayer advice needed

Looks just like the kit form Harbor Freight. $30 If I went Fuji, I would go for the bigger 5 for thicker finishes like paint.
  2. tvrgeek

3/4 vs 20mm

SYP, Mass. Heavy enough it does not move when I plane something. The cheap cast hold-fasts did not work, but my good forged ones work fine.
  3. tvrgeek

New sprayer advice needed

I have the newer Spectrum from HF to use with my big compressor, but then got the medium size Earlex turbine job. I like it much better for heavier finishes. I was able to spray SW Emerald thinned only a little more than spec. If I were to buy again, I would go for an even larger one. The...
  4. tvrgeek

3/4 vs 20mm

Back to the standards. Ok, my bench and assembly table are both drilled for 3/4 inch. Pile of dogs etc. Some newer nifty accessories are 20mm. Simple dogs won't help, but they are not expensive. Question is, before I drill my bench, does the extra mm in the hole have much effect on my great...
  5. tvrgeek

New member and speaker builder

I started in speaker building. Eventually built some "good enough" . Additionally, I am old enough my hearing is not as good as it was so I have built my last. But, I have a lot of parts and my laboratory equipment if anyone is interested. I also have the AES anthologies 1-4 and many other books...
  6. tvrgeek

Drafting program

I still use and old copy of quick-cad. 2D. Probably because I know how to use it. For my woodworking, I just sketch. I did a lot of British car electrical schematics with it. I don't do any cloud stuff and as I had drafting in engineering school, I prefer old-school 3 view orthographic...
  7. tvrgeek

Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

I was a die hard hickory handle guy but pretty much converted to Eastwing. The blue stuff does a decent isolation job. For some reason, they don't transmit the shock like tube or other steel handles. Our "magic hammer" got stolen. It was just a Vaughan I think, maybe Plumb, circa 1930 or...
  8. tvrgeek

Upholstery in the Greensboro Triad

Thanks all. I have a couple of chairs I need done. I also need the headliner in my GTI done and have no clue. I believe, for just square pillows, there are on-line custom shops. Would be sweet in ultra-suede. I redid my, well my wife's as I never have a chance to sit in it, Eams chair...
  9. tvrgeek

What type of Shoes to you wear in your Workshop?

Looked on Amazon. Only a couple steel toe shoes with wide toe box and not sure any are no-incline and no arch. Yea, I was a electronics technician in my first career. I re-wire all my cars. Actually ALL older cars have the same electrical fault. No dielectric grease in the connectors. Lucas...
  10. tvrgeek

Cowboy boots growing up is why big and first my toes are crooked. Probably why my first bout of tendon issues. They are designed for riding, not walking. Walking boots were the low heel wide toe "Wellington" I hate my crocks. Feel funny and the side rivet blisters my foot, but with socks, they...
  11. tvrgeek

PM sent. Zero incline no arch shoes, toe lifts. We have been sold a pile of goods with supportive shoes as they allow our foot to breakdown.
  12. tvrgeek

Crucible card scraper

I am missing which specific scraper is being talked about. Material, source, or shape? The one from Lost Art? I use my DFM sourced scraper the most but have a thicker one ( Stanley) and thinner ones from some unknown source. Never got a great burr until I got the textured rod from Wright...
  13. tvrgeek

Best all-around finish?

As Casey said, no "universal" finish. Everything from epoxy to soap. Choose based on the requirements. Don't forget shoe polish and a heat gun. The infamous Watco Danish oil is just BLO with a tiny bit of poly in it just as wiping poly is just regular poly with more solvent. Oils take a...
  14. tvrgeek

Joinery Help

Dowels would be my choice. No need for any metal or exotic joinery.
  15. tvrgeek

Shop Fox vises on sale at Grizzly <$50

A good price for sure. I have one. Does what is is supposed to do.
  16. tvrgeek

"Floating Shelves"- method critique

The one time I did a floating shelf, I added blocking inside the wall and used 3/4 black pipe drilled in with a slight tilt.
  17. tvrgeek

Miter gauge reviews

I tried the Osborn. Hated it. Pin for the stops had too much play even with careful bias. Nice idea, did not work. Played with an Incra and was not impressed especially for the price. I now use a Chinese wonder slightly tuned up with an extended fence, Kurtz-Moses stop etc. No idea the brand...
  18. tvrgeek

Did Oregon Make a Mistake?

OK, my Kobalt and Poulan chain saws use a 5/32 file. Fits, matches, cuts. But my little Kobalt 8 inch trimmer the Oregon package says a 3/16 file. Does not clear the leading link. 5/32 fits better. Anyone had similar spec conflicts? Yea, with effort on clearence by a couple re-sharpening...
  19. tvrgeek

Craftsman vise

Someone grab it. Quality of newer ones not as good, even Record.
  20. tvrgeek

Gas springs or option

I have use a counter-weight and pulley system for a similar problem but yea, it might take up space but with cables, you can route that space about anywhere. As far as the engineer comment, weight is of course relevant, but long is a matter of geometry. I can guarantee a lot of SUV hatches...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS