Search results

1. gsalls

2 recent cabinets

very cool
  2. gsalls

Cherry chest

They are balance supports from rockler, which are available in two support sizes. These are the larger ones. I like them, they work well and are easy to install. Also I like that they aren't too obtrusive and ugly. I do wish they offered a little more support on the bottom half but it's not...
  3. gsalls

Cherry chest

I can see that my written explanation is a little confusing. There are no grooves, but nailing cleats attached on the inside of the carcass, offset the thickness of the coopered lid - about 5/8 in this case. The lid then sits flush with the top of the sides of the carcass and is fastened to...
  4. gsalls

Cherry chest

It's about 20" deep and I'm guessing weighs about 25 pounds. The balance supports that are on work well keeping the lid open until about 50 degrees, but then closes quite hard.
  5. gsalls

Cherry chest

Thanks, I agree. If I had to choose one wood to work with, it would definitely be cherry.
  6. gsalls

Cherry chest

Thanks, I looked at those but I wanted the hinges to be morticed in the body so the lid sits flat. I guess there's no reason why those hinges couldn't be morticed, even though there not designed to be. I'll have to try them out at some point.
  7. gsalls

Cherry chest

T Thanks, I've tried similar struts before, with disastrous results. Undecipherable instructions and unconventional attachment requirements led to sides that were riddled with misplaced screwholes and lots of cursing. I'm sure I'll revisit them again in the future as I think they are probably...
  8. gsalls

Cherry chest

Thanks, pictures aren't great. The joinery is actually dovetails. The top is just 1 1/2" staves ripped with a slight bevel and joined together and then smoothed out with a spokeshave. I determined the bevel by making a full scale drawing first. Its screwed down in the center and nailed off...
  9. gsalls

Cherry chest

Just finished this cherry chest. I'm quite pleased with it. I'm not thrilled with the lid supports but they're the best solution I could come up with for this design. Anybody have any suggestions for a product that would be more appropriate. Mounting options are somewhat non-standard. At...
  10. gsalls

Commission for someone in the High Point/Greensboro area.

I was solicited for work that I am unable to do. I would like to put the person who contacted me in touch with somebody in the Greensboro area who is willing and able to make a "few custom-made retail displays and also some inspection tables." That's all the information I have. If interested...
  11. gsalls

Who has a shop dog?

Chloe, my shop supervisor.
  12. gsalls

New member from Browns Summit

Nice work, and that oak is gorgeous. What's the finish?
  13. gsalls

New Bern first Summer Lunch Bunch

New to the Forum, are these lunches quarterly? I can't make this one but I hope to be able to make the next one.
  14. gsalls

Advice on finishing pine for outdoor use...

I hadn't considered Sikkens. I looked into it and they recommend either 3 coats of the Cetol 1, or a coat of the Cetol SDR. I'm leaning toward the SDR, primarily because of the maintenance schedule. My concern is blotching. I don't think a washcoat is wise for this type of finish. Do you...
  15. gsalls

Wine Box Christmas Gifts

I agree, that bow detail is something I've not seen before. Terrific
  16. gsalls

Swivel counter stools

Those look great.
  17. gsalls

I’m not feeling woodworky...

I'm in a similar situation. My shop is an attached one bay garage with no insulation (except the connecting wall) and is under direct sun most of the day. So far my only solution has been to drink lots of water and keep a sweat rag in my pocket. But I suspect I'm going to have to at least...
  18. gsalls

Thanks, yes I am using SYP. Regular not treated. I'm leaning toward simply using some oil, although I'm still unsure. Perhaps teak oil? My thought is that in the event that this actually survives a few years (which I suspect it will), I really don't ever want to have to strip off an old...
  19. gsalls

Thanks. That's good information to consider..
  20. gsalls

I have a deep and somewhat unfounded aversion toward paint on wood. Although I have seen some really nice painted pieces, I don’t think it’s for me. But I appreciate your thoughts on it!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS