Search results

1. SteveHall

Question for Dewalt scroll saw owners

We use ours all the time, very stable and minimal footprint.
  2. SteveHall

Table For My Model Train Room

Excellent. An N-scale train table was my first proper woodworking project, too. (1x4 frame, box joint corners, hardboard top relieved into the frame, and castors instead of legs to slide under a bed.) Yours is much sturdier, and you've made more layout progress than we ever did!
  3. SteveHall

Electrician recommendation

I've known Tim of Systematic Electric for many years, they do commercial and residential. Several contractors I've worked with recommend him, too.
  4. SteveHall

Hello from Cary

Wecome, Mike.
  5. SteveHall

Hello from Cary

Welcome, Jake.
  6. SteveHall

Found the limit of the shop mini-split

Is it the "Hyper-Heating H2i" version? I know these cost a little extra, but that recent (2021) tech heats 100% to 5°F and then diminishing to -13°F. I think both Mitsubishi versions have clever reverse cycle defrosting that runs the exchanger in reverse for a few minutes to prevent ice build-up.
  7. SteveHall

chair age

I'd guess later (1910?), but cane seat chairs can be found from 1770 to 1960. Machine marks and techniques are always the give-away to dating. Looks to me the first/top one is later with possible router design in the top, a machine profile (shaper), and poorer quality joints, indicating machine...
  8. SteveHall

Built in bookcase floor to 10 ft ceiling project and thinking to make the shelving 48 inches width and 12 inches deep.

I would steer clear of the big box store plywood. Often it is imported, has thicker and fewer plys, and made of species with less density than is ideal for woodworking. I have disappointed myself a few times by doing this for "shop" items and have learned that spending a few dollars more results...
  9. SteveHall

"New" member from Apex, N.C.

Welcome, lots of us here from Apex and vicinity.
  10. SteveHall

LLC in NC Questions

I recommend a CPA. Mine does the S-corp and personal returns for <$1,000 with crisp record keeping and year end statements. It's worth it to me given the size of the corporate filing. There are firms around that will do all your receipt collection, bookkeeping, accounting, and filings for...
  11. SteveHall

Building lumber prices really are dropping

Yes, I've been seeing construction pricing returning to reasonable. There's still lots of uncertainty though, so it's hard to say if the return is supply line recovery or less profit taking to ensure continued work.
  12. SteveHall

Naked chest of drawers

Beautiful.
  13. SteveHall

Hello from Cary

Welcome, Richard. There are many of us in this neighborhood, make sure to try the monthly lunch next to Klingspor's and meet some NCWW in person. (Although I haven't made it in a while myself since the pandemic, but things are finally getting back to normal.)
  14. SteveHall

How to tell if strait edge is strait?

The is quite a clever trick based on the principle of balancing three equals. Good to a thousandth with micrometers and two accurate gauge blocks or whatever your thinnest feeler gauge. Thanks for sharing.
  15. SteveHall

Hello from Raleigh!

Welcome, Tim.
  16. SteveHall

Hello from Raleigh

Welcome, Sean.
  17. SteveHall

Greetings from Durham

Welcome, Seth.
  18. SteveHall

Old tools info

None of these jump out to me as having more than typical antique tool value ($2), but there are some flea market scavengers on here that might spot something odd. There are piles and piles of old tools around, but most are well-used and served average workers and handymen instead of the rare...
  19. SteveHall

Hello from Apex

Welcome, Joe.
  20. SteveHall

木組展おうちでミュージアム

Thanks for sharing, I can't imagine what it would cost to design and build like this here in the US.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS