Search results

1. Wiley's Woodworks

Mortise chisel vs. Mortise machine vs. Mortise adpter for drill press

Dave--the reason for squaring off mortise ends is if you don't you wind up with 2 large pockets that don't offer any support. They just fill up with glue when you assemble. The glue that fills the cavity when wet will shrink when it dries. If your piece, when used, puts any lengthwise stress...
  2. Wiley's Woodworks

Would sanding sealer prevent this?

I agree with your assessment of the cause of the problem--walnut dust polluting the maple next to it. I can't tell from the picture if this is the inside or outside of the bowl. If it is possible to get a card scraper with an appropriate radius on the cutting edge, a few light scrapes might...
  3. Wiley's Woodworks

Is There a Decent Staple Gun Out There?

Misfiring staples many times is a function of improper pressure on the hammer. If your pressure is too little or uneven the hammer will bounce before the staple is driven in all the way. If you go with an electric staple gun make sure your line-of-force is directly over the hammer. With hand...
  4. Wiley's Woodworks

Carbon Method on hand tools?

WWGA is not exactly a ringing endorsement. They do everything for $$, including their "endorsements" or recommendations.
  5. Wiley's Woodworks

cutting a radius

Not to add insult to your already self-inflicted injury, but I believe the quotation, "and now...the rest of the story" was the signature line from Paul Harvey on his radio show.
  6. Wiley's Woodworks

Looking for glue & finish recommendations

We will see more automotive finishes making their ways into our woodworking industry. The market for auto finishing is so much bigger and the R & D is so much greater. I'm expecting to see someone put these new ceramic and hydrophobic coatings that are obsoleting paste wax auto shining on wood...
  7. Wiley's Woodworks

Scroll saw lubrication?

I have stopped using 3-n-1 oil after getting better results with high grade gun oils. They are formulated to handle heat better and seem to be more viscous, meaning their lubricating properties last longer.
  8. Wiley's Woodworks

Looking for glue & finish recommendations

Whatever finish you choose, a couple of coats of spray-on automotive clear coat will double the life of your finish plus it will seal out moisture from TB III joints. It's intended for metal so it will flex with seasonal wood movement. When you do have to refinish (5-10 years?), just scuff it...
  9. Wiley's Woodworks

Waynesville Woodworkers

The Waynesville Woodworkers, aka sawdust heads, are getting together on Wednesday, April 17, at noon in Waynesville. We have active woodworkers from 4 counties. Skill sets include woodturning, furniture making, live edge slab making, and a few other dubious talents. Get in touch with me if...
  10. Wiley's Woodworks

Is it time to replace my machines?

You didn't say why you are contemplating replacing machinery. IMO if a machine is operating properly--maintaining tolerances, not suffering recurring breakdowns, and parts are readily available if it does break--keep using it. CNC machines are a whole different ballgame. I do not own one nor...
  11. Wiley's Woodworks

Laminated Plywood: A snipe hunt?

That looks like a high grade of melamine shelving to me. Try the big box stores, in-store and online, then check with local building supply stores.
  12. Wiley's Woodworks

Wooden screen door situation

What is the world coming to? An ordinary screen door made from sapele and painted over. Starting to seem like excessive cost and work. If you do make your own door, what kind of joint would you use? I'm thinking a bridle joint with 2 pegs, TB3 glue.
  13. Wiley's Woodworks

NCWW Scholarship Announcement

Great to hear from you. Give some thought to posting work-in-process photos. Woodworkers like to know how things are made.
  14. Wiley's Woodworks

Hefty benchtop bench

My go-to glue is E6000. It's like industrial strength Shoe Goo. It's super sticky, messy to work with, dries flexible, and sticks to any surface. Sticks best with a little pressure but doesn't need pressure to adhere. Available in multiple stores plus Amazon.
  15. Wiley's Woodworks

Show me your router fence

Of all the solutions offered, I think your own fabrication is the simplest, lowest cost, and looks to be the most efficient for dust collection. Rather than have it run in t tracks, which have to be cut into the wing surface, why not just have it rest against and clamp onto the backside of the...
  16. Wiley's Woodworks

Impressive looking bit set, a weird TS thing & some cabs

That is weird. My guess: Somehow the board bounced up as you were pushing it through, causing the teeth to dip below the top surface of the plywood for that 1" space.
  17. Wiley's Woodworks

Used Cabinet Saws

I'm with Mike in his logic. $90 for a new SS cartridge and $60-$180 for a new blade. That adds up. I've heard too many stories about false triggers of the brake over moisture in the wood and other causes. I'm sticking with my Powermatic 66 5hp Table saws are the #1 source of workshop...
  18. Wiley's Woodworks

Gluing MDF

You can use yellow wood glue, but you have to be careful. Do it in 2 stages: Apply a skim coat to the MDF with your fingertip. Keep it thin. This is to seal the MDF from absorbing too much moisture and swelling. Let this sit for about an hour, or 1/2 of the recommended drying time of the...
  19. Wiley's Woodworks

Active Injury Mitigation Proposal (Sawstop)

I've heard it through the grapevine that the CPSC is going to force SawStop to license their patented and proprietary technology to any manufacturer. Rumor has it that multiple manufacturers have approached SawStop about licensing, but the price SawStop wants would price competing products well...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS