Search results

1. cobraguy

I always enjoy it, but don’t do it often enough…

Dan - I considered the M&T for this joint. I need it to also serve as a kind of baseboard to cover where drywall meets the floor, so it has to be flush along the back. Half lap fits that requirement, and besides... Isn't a half lap just a M&T with one wall of the mortise gone? :) That and I...
  2. cobraguy

I always enjoy it, but don’t do it often enough…

Working with hand tools is such a pleasant thing for me. Every time I do, I think how relaxing it is. There’s just something about feeling the cuts and getting those curls. I’m working on some shelving for a storage closet. I try to experiment with new techniques in places where a screw up...
  3. cobraguy

Hobby Room Shelving and Cabinetry - WIP

To slightly hijack my own thread... I am really happy with the Superior Walls.. I'm sure your results with the Durham folks are similar. The temperature and humidly transition from the main floor to the "basement" is no different than from going from the main floor to the second floor. Even...
  4. cobraguy

Second post in the series. Two sections complete and sitting in place waiting on full install. I actually finished the second one about a week ago. The large remaining section will house shelves like these first two. The narrow section will be a combination of shelving and small drawers...
  5. cobraguy

I am usually terrible at documenting projects and especially taking pics along the way. This is an attempt to be better at both. And I tend to the verbose, so apologies. When we built our retirement home 12 years ago we didn’t count on the topography supporting a basement until our builder...
  6. cobraguy

Combination Squares

If you use the adjustable feature of the square and/or measure mostly, a quality one as mentioned and suggested here is the way to go. If you use it mainly as a try square or for marking a line, think about getting machinist square(s). They hold their accuracy, can be tweaked if out of square...
  7. cobraguy

Anyone cut the bottom out of your dust collector bag?

I tried this out and it works, though it can still be messy to empty if you're not careful. It may be the way I had the clamps situated, but they eventually wore a hole in the DC bag. I just replaced the bag. I used it until this past summer when I upgraded my entire system to a large cyclone...
  8. cobraguy

Safety Glasses

I've been getting my glasses for the last number of years from ZenniOptical.com. Good selection and prices aren't bad, especially if you can wait for a sale. I got my ANSI rated safety glasses with side protection and progressive bifocal prescription there. You will need a copy of your...
  9. cobraguy

WTB potable lunchbox planer

PM sent
  10. cobraguy

Mitre gauge recommendations

+1 for the Incra 1000 SE. I have the 1000 HD and wish I had not spent the additional dollars for it. The only difference between the SE and HD is the in the angle settings. The HD has a ton of detents, plus a vernier adjustment. It offers a level of precision I don't need for the work I do...
  11. cobraguy

Goodbye - sort of

Damn D2 ;), what bittersweet news. Good luck back home.
  12. cobraguy

Working with Veneer

If you are near one of the Klingspor stores, they have PSA in 4x8, as well as some smaller sizes.
  13. cobraguy

What is your favorite sandpaper.

You are correct on Klingspor's huge selection. That's to be expected from one of the world's largest abrasives companies. The woodworking stores are actually a sideline. The options for woodworking though come in a manageable subset. I suggest you call or visit one of the stores. Someone...
  14. cobraguy

Refresh, local veneer sources

Klingspor
  15. cobraguy

INCRA TS-LS table saw fence... Should I?

Interesting thread. I too have been eyeing the Incra systems. I'm convinced on the router table fence, but not the table saw. Haven't pulled the trigger yet on either, but the router version will be in my shop in 2023 if things go right. Like you I am looking for repeatability. Great...
  16. cobraguy

Klingspor’s Yellow Van ?

Correct me if I'm wrong Coleman but, I expect that was a Klingspor Abrasives van. Klingspor Woodworking Shop's parent company and one of the largest abrasives companies in the world. That's also why Klingspor sandpaper is so good. Papa company makes pretty good stuff.
  17. cobraguy

Double Stick Tape

+1 on the stuff from Klingspor
  18. cobraguy

Brass set-Up Gauges for finger joint spacing....

I use brass set up gauges in my box joint jig. The real fiddly part is getting the spacing right between the pin and cut. That's true no matter what you use for the pin however.
  19. cobraguy

Frame for 42x64'ish mirror?

When we built our house, we couldn't find mirrors with frames we liked, so I built them. All good advice so far and if you decide to go that route here's another tip. Depending on your design, the edge of the mirror will reflect the backside of any rabbets you may use to enclose it in the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS