Search results

1. F

12' long work bench build.

That's a very nice workbench!!
  2. F

First attempted chair

One day I will get up the courage to attempt to build a chair!
  3. F

My first hand plane purchase!!

Chris, Thanks for the links. Thanks. I will make sure to do that.
  4. F

Looks nice! What do you apply to the bare metal surfaces after using the evaporust to keep the metal surface from forming a fresh coat of surface rust?
  5. F

Project rocking chair

That box has a very nice finish! I'm excited about the additional coats on the chair.
  6. F

I picked up a third plane today. Stanley Bailey No 3. From what research I have done it looks like it is a Type 16. Correct me if i'm wrong. The blade on this one was still sharp and it cut really good when I set it and tried it out on a scrap piece of wood. Pictures of number 3...
  7. F

All of the planes are in great condition. Tools used to be built to last! I found a decoding website and that is correct that the 5 1/2 is a Type 12. That is something I would definitely be interested in attending. I will add that to my wish list and throw it in next time I place an amazon...
  8. F

Project rocking chair

I got the first coat of tung on the chair. Now, I have to get it rubbed down with steel wool and apply a second coat. I'm unsure of how many coats I will end up using. I'm thinking at least 4. Hopefully the second coat and ones after that will take to the wood alot easier.
  9. F

I just purchased my first planes today. After looking around a little online, I decided to look for a used one that had a few years of age on it. Super excited about them. I now need to read up on how to properly sharpen the blade and get the plane set correctly. I purchased two planes. From...
  10. F

Project rocking chair

I was able to get started on the finish today. I covered 1/2 of the chair with Forby's. I will finish the other half tomorrow, then go over the entire chair with fine steel wool as recommended on the can after 12 hrs. After that, I plan on applying several more coats to see how it does with each...
  11. F

Project rocking chair

Thanks for the tips Roy. I'm leaning towards the Forby's finish as of right now. That may change though when finish time comes around. Going to use the bottom of the seat as a test point. Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
  12. F

Project rocking chair

I'm halfway finished sanding with the 100 grit paper! I should be finished with the other half within a week. Then it'll be on to upping my grit for a smoother finish. Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
  13. F

Project rocking chair

Currently in the sanding process. Flat parts are no issue at all but it takes longer to get the round parts, especially where they meet flat. That's a great idea to try the underside first. In the back of my mid, I knew to do this but for somereason I didn't think about doing it when I start...
  14. F

Project rocking chair

I found instructions online that say to sand the chair to a 180 - 220 grit finish for tung oil. Does this sound about right? Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
  15. F

Hello from the Triad!!

Thanks for the welcomes! Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
  16. F

Project rocking chair

Let me correct myself! We got the chair for $12. I thought it was $20 but I was quickly reminded that we only paid $12 for it, which makes it even better!! I went to the store today and got linseed oil, mineral spirits and tung oil! I will probably end up going with the tung oil finish if...
  17. F

Project rocking chair

My wife found this rocking chair at a thrift store for $20. It appears to be pretty old, or just worn out to look old. We are planning on restoring it and refinishing it. So far we have just sanded what was left of the old finish off. I'm not sure if that was the proper way to remove it or...
  18. F

Hello from the Triad!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. I love taking pictures and I will make sure to post plenty. I have an old rocking chair that we picked up at a thrift store and I will use that as my first project here! Thanks for the invite to the lunch but I won't be able to make it due to my current...
  19. F

Hello from the Triad!!

Hello. I am new to the site and I am enjoying all of the information and posts so far. I have done small woodworking projects in the past (crown molding/baseboards, speakerboxes, entertainment center, shelves, garage storage, etc). I am planning on taking the next step and getting into making...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS