Greetings from Cary

Daniel A

New User
Daniel
Hi everyone,

My name is Daniel, I'm 35 years old and live in Cary. I'm relatively new to NCWW and to serious woodworking in general, but I've been a maker of one sort or another all my life. I grew up just south of here in Sanford, NC, on a little farm my dad had out in the country out towards Cameron. I learned a lot from him growing up, as he owned a roofing business and if we didn't fix the trucks and tractors, bend the flashing, build the replacement repairs, etc. then it wouldn't get done. I joined the Army at 21 as a paratrooper, went to Ft. Bragg after Airborne School, then Iraq for a year, then four years later when my contract was expiring, I declined to re-enlist for another four years (I figured I'd better get a college education before I got any older) and received an honorable discharge. Four years later, I graduated from NC State with a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. That was in 2017, and I've been working in RTP since then.

I am primarily a hand tool woodworker, however that's not some self-imposed restriction; I live in a condo in Cary for now, so until I can buy a house with a garage or shop, I have to rely on tools that won't get me kicked out for noise complaints, haha. I do have a few electric tools, such as a router with table and plunge attachment, a drill press, and a 10" table saw I keep in the outdoor utility closet, and only use it outside on my back patio.

I eventually want to get a decent lathe. I'd love to turn some bowls out of both solid and sectioned blanks, and it's one of the few larger tools that is quiet enough to get away with in a condo, at least during the day. I also want to get a small band saw at some point to make it easier to resaw rough lumber. I could also probably get away with a track saw, a router track/guide, and an electric planer, so I'm on the lookout for those two. If you know anyone selling a lathe, track saw, router track/guide, router bits/accessories, or an electric planer, please let me know.

Other than those electric tools, I rely on hand tools. For hand planes, I have a 22" Stanley Bedrock jointer; Stanley jack, smoothing, and block plane; Stanley 45 combination, Stanley 78 rabbeting, Stanley 48 tongue & groove, and a handmade router plane. I also have spoke shaves, bits and brace, a Stanley miter box, way too many hand saws, and way too few chisels. Lastly, I'm building a Roubo-style frame saw to resaw boards by hand.

I definitely want to get more chisels (especially mortising chisels), as well as some gouges and other carving tools, and possibly some turning tools for when I get a lathe.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Charlie Stickney last month, who helped me dimension, clean, and cut some rough white oak for a hand tool cabinet I am working on right now. If the rest of the community is as generous, helpful, and experienced as Charlie is, then I'm in the right place!

I'll be at the upcoming picnic at Jordan Lake (05/14/22), so I look forward to meeting you all there. I'm excited to get busy building some stuff!

-Daniel

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum, I do a lot of hand tool work myself. I also teach along with a few others in this group. We are happy to have you.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Daniel, we are glad you found us.
Thank you for your service, it is appreciated.
I have found there are many helpful people here and it is a GREAT group.

As you already know - ask questions or ask for help and you get it!

Daniel A

New User
Daniel
Welcome to the forum, I do a lot of hand tool work myself. I also teach along with a few others in this group. We are happy to have you.
Thanks! There's a ton of experience in this group, it's a great resource. I'll likely try to get some training in somewhere in the next couple months, just not sure on where/what yet.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS