Stanley #45 or #50 cutters / blades

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found a #50 and bought it thinking I had enough cutters to put it to use, but decided I now want a small set of cutters dedicated to it.

The cost of cutters on fleabay is astronomical (from my cheap perspective) and thought about jsut buying some 1095 material, but thought I would ask here for suggestions of an easy way to get or make 1/8" - 1/2" cutter set for my #50...

All suggestions welcome... (other then telling me to not be so cheap!)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
No problem :D we can start calling you Senior Barato (Mr Cheapo)

If you have the time and inclination and a belt sander and grinder (you can do this with a grinder) Get Tool steel A2 or O1 or O2 types and make them. I like the O2 steel seems to work better from me and it does hold an edge pretty good. Just don't over heat the metal when roughing in the blade.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
No problem :D we can start calling you Senior Barato (Mr Cheapo)

If you have the time and inclination and a belt sander and grinder (you can do this with a grinder) Get Tool steel A2 or O1 or O2 types and make them. I like the O2 steel seems to work better from me and it does hold an edge pretty good. Just do over heat the metal when roughing in the blade.
I thought you still had to harden and temper O1 or O2, not just heat it... (over heat it, when grinding in the bevel)
I guess it would work with A2 (air hardened)

Someone suggested using 1090 / 1095, but I think that would be a LOT more sensitive to poor hardening / tempering...

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Oh you can use it 1095 or better 5160. Both are spring steel. Lots of knife guys use it.
Heat treating doesn't have to be the scientific. You can use a mapp gas torch to to the initial and an oven for the secondary treat if you want, just depends on how far you want to go and how much resharpening you are willing to put up with. But, if you wanted to treat them, I guarantee a JC or High school will have the oven you need and more often than not.... totally willing to assist in the effort. Another Steel that is tricky but in some ways interesting is P20 steel. But when you grind or belt sand it ...it has to stay cool until you have sharpened then you can heat it up and it hardens fast and at a lower temperature. But this stuff is tricky I was trying to pre-drill a piece and learned the hard way.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I ran across a full set in the box at one of my regular haunts a short while back....I'll try to run by and see if they're still there if you are interested.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I ran across a full set in the box at one of my regular haunts a short while back....I'll try to run by and see if they're still there if you are interested.
MUCH appreciated - look forward to hearing from you!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank are you looking Stanley 55 cutters or 50 cutters. I have not heard of a 50
nope - a Stanley #50
1620322024077.png

It is a simplified or "no-frills" moulding plane...
My hope is to set it up for drawer bottoms or repeated rabbets / dados...
It is about 1/2 size of a #45

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not impossible but you might get frustrated looking for parts.
It is complete, except for nicker (adapting one I have) and the blades or cutters - It came with one beading cutter...

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
St James Bay tools may have or make some for you. Their storefront is closed but I saw he still had listings on ebay.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Do these cutters have a notch in them like the 45 cutters do for height adjustment? The plane doesn't seem to have the screw height adjustment like the 45. If they don't need a notch then you would be essentially making small chisels of different widths. That looks like you could do that with some care. Maybe you could find a knife maker who could temper the blades for you.

Roy G

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS