Air conditioning for shed workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Hi fellow woodworkers!

After dealing with a pain in a$$ HOA and doing a lot of the electrical work, my shed shop is almost ready to go live. I'm just discovering the joys of the southern summer (we moved here about 8 months ago) and would like to set up an air conditioning system in the shop. I'm a bit concerned about mixing air conditioning with the sawdust in the air. How do you guys cool your shops? Any recommendations for AC units? I'm open to split ACs as well. The workshop is a 14 x 24 ft shed with 8 ft of height.

Thanks!
Yogi

gator

George
Corporate Member
My shop is 16 x 24 and I run two small window units (one at each end) and that is sufficient for me. Just keep your filters clean and dust shouldn't be a problem.

George

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
My thought about shop cooling is in steps, with (cost) in parenthesis:

1. Live with it (perspiration, concentration, rust? wood instability?)
  2. Start work at 4am (sleep)
  3. Ceiling fan ($50)
  4. Window A/C unit ($100 in Winter, $200 in Summer)
  5. Air sealing doors and windows ($50)
  6. Insulated garage door ($1,500–$3,000)
  7. Roof/ceiling insulation, 50% of energy loss ($500–$1,200)
  8. Wall insulation, 10% of energy loss per side up to 40% ($1,000–$2,000)
  9. Mini-split ($5,000 total installed)
Air sealing and insulation are terribly unromantic ideas for a shop, but they actually make the most difference. Fabulous envelope equals very little cooling required. I'll forego the usual deep dive into dust collection methods and their respective losses against these values. ;)

Some data for context: I noticed a huge difference at #6 when I replaced a 18'W x 8'H un-insulated garage door with a double-skin metal insulated one. I already had a well-sealed and insulated garage. It is adjacent the house and under a bonus room, so there's zero heat gain on the North wall and the ceiling/roof. And because of the other strategies, I won't need #9 mini-split because my little window A/C unit keeps up, even though my garage is South-facing and 6,360 cubic feet (530 SF x 12'H). For the rare heating day (Raleigh is just 2–3 heating months) I use a kerosene heater to boost the heat with a door cracked to avoid air pollution concerns. By mid-morning I can shut it off and close the door and am fine the rest of the day since the sun starts warming the shop by 10am.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My shop is a 14x24 garage under conditioned space. It is insulated but has no heat or AC. I can open a door at both ends and let the breeze go through the long direction. I tend to try and do things in the morning both for temperature and concentration reasons but I find the shop to be usable year around despite the lack of conditioning. It is shaded and there is typically a little breeze.

I have been doing house things since we moved to this space, however. I've built a cabinet and some shelves and a bed but less than my normal level of time in the shop. If I discover it is just uncomfortable, I will put in a small window unit and close the doors. A small window unit can also be handy if your heat pump develops a problem. A hot shop is a lot less of an issue than a hot bedroom.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Yogi, in my 5,300 sq ft well insulated shop I used a standard 2.5 ton split system. We fabricated a custom box that holds twelve 20" x 20" x 2" air filters on the intake side. We only have to replace the filters around once a year. Due to the extreme insulation, the shop actually stays cool with only 2.5 tons.

You have a lot of options. IF your shop is well insulated you can put in a small split system with an oversized filter box on the intake. The nice thing about this approach is that you can use your air conditioner to keep the humidity levels down in the shop, which is a plus when woodworking (keeping it on 7/24). A mini-split unit may be your best option in this scenario.

If you're not well insulated then I think that a dual pair of window units (one on each end of the building) may be your most effective approach to cool the space rapidly yet not require a significant capitol investment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Shop air handler 2.jpg
    Shop air handler 2.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Shop air handler 1.jpg
    Shop air handler 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 360

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Pictures of your new shop and window locations or where to put an air conditioner? How'd your back yard sawn sweet gum lumber work out for building the shop?

mbromley

New User
Bromley
I'm interested in the mini split option as my shop doesn't have windows. Is the going rate about $5k for a 2 to 2.5 ton mini split system? This heat wave is brutal.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Hi fellow woodworkers!

After dealing with a pain in a$$ HOA and doing a lot of the electrical work, my shed shop is almost ready to go live. I'm just discovering the joys of the southern summer (we moved here about 8 months ago) and would like to set up an air conditioning system in the shop. I'm a bit concerned about mixing air conditioning with the sawdust in the air. How do you guys cool your shops? Any recommendations for AC units? I'm open to split ACs as well. The workshop is a 14 x 24 ft shed with 8 ft of height.

Thanks!
Yogi

I'd look at a mini-split or one of the hotel style AC/heat units which would be a lot cheaper. If HOA was a pain they probably won't allow window units. Just blow out the filters every once in a while. Mine get cleaned every 6 months.

I'm interested in the mini split option as my shop doesn't have windows. Is the going rate about $5k for a 2 to 2.5 ton mini split system? This heat wave is brutal.

I use a mini-split in my 1 car garage workshop, and have no issues keeping it cool in this heat.

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Pictures of your new shop and window locations or where to put an air conditioner? How'd your back yard sawn sweet gum lumber work out for building the shop?

I'll add pictures soon. The lumber stack is still drying. I think it should be usable in about 10 months :( I just had the shed built by NC Shed Depot.

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
I'd look at a mini-split or one of the hotel style AC/heat units which would be a lot cheaper. If HOA was a pain they probably won't allow window units. Just blow out the filters every once in a while. Mine get cleaned every 6 months.
The HOA approved the workshop with no conditions on surrounding vegetation, I had the shed brought in and took down the 4 sweet gums in the back yard. They started complaining that it was too visible. Then they wanted us to plant 8'+ evergreens around the perimeter of the yard to block view of the shed from the road. Of course, they never told us that they wanted this level of shielding before I bought the shed. I had to bring in an attorney to put them in line. There's nothing in the covenants that prevent people from adding window units, so they can pound sand.

I use a mini-split in my 1 car garage workshop, and have no issues keeping it cool in this heat.

I see mini splits that cost about 750$, is it 5k with installation?

gmakra

New User
George
I used to be an HVAC contractor so if anyone is interested I have the tools and knowledge so you can install your own system.
If you pay for shipping I will loan you my vacuum pump and gauges.
I will offer phone assistance only.
It is not a difficult install.
80 % of the worlds VAC is handled with mini splits.
As far as brands I will not recommend one over another since they are manufactured to ARI specs.
I installed my mini split which was manufactured in China and came with a Johnson Controls,York, Coleman and half a dozen other stickers depending on what sticker you think will condition your air mo betta.
So to me its like buying a 2x4 it simply doesn't matter.
I have seen Home Depot will sell systems and I am know you can get them from Amazon.
What ever system you buy budget a couple hundred extra for a disconnect, line set, wire and cable and a day or two for the install.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My shop is 22 x 30. It is on a poured slab. I have 6" of insulation in the ceiling and 3" in the walls. I also have an insulated overhead garage door. While I have the benefit of some shad trees a single window A/C unit can keep in 76-78 on the worst days. Now I do run the unit 24x7 but on an economy setting and it does not cost me a fortunate.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I've got a 2 car garage shop with 1 full wall insulated and about 1/2 of another wall insulated. The front facing wall and the wall with the door on it are not insulated. I ran a window AC unit that I installed in the garage door wall since I didn't want an AC hanging out a window where someone could move the unit and get in through the window. That unit ran for about 10 years with no filter changes and kept the garage at about 75 degrees. It finally died last year. When I removed the unit from the wall, the compressor was coated in rust, so I figured that had something to do with it's failure. This year I bought a portable unit. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DLPUWJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I vent the unit out a hole in the wood I used to seal up the hole the old AC unit sat in. It's been running all this week and has been keeping the garage at about 72 degrees. So, I'd go with that if I had to do it again. Best $400 I've spent for my hobby woodworking.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
The HOA approved the workshop with no conditions on surrounding vegetation, I had the shed brought in and took down the 4 sweet gums in the back yard. They started complaining that it was too visible. Then they wanted us to plant 8'+ evergreens around the perimeter of the yard to block view of the shed from the road. Of course, they never told us that they wanted this level of shielding before I bought the shed. I had to bring in an attorney to put them in line. There's nothing in the covenants that prevent people from adding window units, so they can pound sand.

I see mini splits that cost about 750$, is it 5k with installation?

Depends on the brand and model, mine was around that installed, but it's Mitsubishi and supports upto 3 head units, and I have 2 head units installed, with some difficult line set runs, and permitted with city.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've got a 2 car garage shop with 1 full wall insulated and about 1/2 of another wall insulated. The front facing wall and the wall with the door on it are not insulated. I ran a window AC unit that I installed in the garage door wall since I didn't want an AC hanging out a window where someone could move the unit and get in through the window. That unit ran for about 10 years with no filter changes and kept the garage at about 75 degrees. It finally died last year. When I removed the unit from the wall, the compressor was coated in rust, so I figured that had something to do with it's failure. This year I bought a portable unit. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DLPUWJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I vent the unit out a hole in the wood I used to seal up the hole the old AC unit sat in. It's been running all this week and has been keeping the garage at about 72 degrees. So, I'd go with that if I had to do it again. Best $400 I've spent for my hobby woodworking.
Haire used to make an air conditioner AND heater.
I found this one: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Gard...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNDtkryW5dsCFcd1AQodJh4OXA

not endorsing it, but we had a room over the garage and the heating and cooling is VERY inconsistent so we wanted supplemental heating and cooling, unfortunately when we ordered it, the unit arrived damaged and they were out of stock, so we just bought an LG portable air conditioner I vented the hose out the wall into an attic space somewhat open to the outdoors. They do work REALLY well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors