Electric Hand Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
So, I was watching Maine Cabin Masters and they were planing a ceiling beam with a Dewalt electric hand plane. May have been at least a 6x6, maybe 8x8.

Serious?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, I've seen it done, I've also performed said task on the jobsite on many occasions. It generally is loud and messy.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
The electric planers are not designed for fine furniture building but rather for quickly reducing or flattening an area that will normally be hidden from view.

+1 to the loud and messy but it does get the job done.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Bought mine primarily for flattening pieces of log to attach a faceplate to mount on a lathe. My friend Knud Oland showed me the trick long ago and it works well. I've also used it to trim the bottom of a door after carpeting or new flooring goes down and when hanging a new door. Very loud and messy is an understatement, but quick and effective.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I acquired a new Dewalt when I bought my brother's shop. Why he bought I can only guess; he loved spending money on new tools. I've used it to flatten pieces before resawing on my HAMMER 3800 (NCWW Raffle win).:tool: For that it worked well!

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I just don't see how something that small could flatten a beam the size they were installing. It would seem the footprint would be too small to actually flatten it. I could see maybe smoothing out a rough cut board but not like a jointer or planer.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have an old friend who has made musical instruments for over 60 years. 20 years ago he started using an electric hand plane to make parts for his upright double basses. These parts have to be much more accurate than any furniture part and he gets them within 1/10 mm. using the electric hand plane allowed him to continue work into his 80s where standard hand planes would have been impossible to manage.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I see these used from time to time, cheap. Any recommendation on which brand or model to be on the lookout for?

TIA

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
An older porter-cable is good, Dewalt(Black and Decker) bought them out several years ago and are slowly doing away with them, that said, I've used the Dewalt for about ten years now and it's been a god one, now as far the flattening process very close to the way you use hand planes only a lot louder messier but very effective and fast.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a PC electric hand plane that was included in a kit we bought many years ago for fitting and hanging doors. I have both the HSS and solid carbide cutters, and I prefer the HSS as it can be more easily resharpened. They even made a sharpening kit to use with the planer itself as the power source.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I have a Makita it keep on my construction trailer. I use it all the time when framing, with the poor quality of framing lumber theses days, I'd rather knock down high spots on walls before sheetrocking, you can only fix so much with mud.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had the Bosch 3-1/4" Planer (PL2632K) which I donated to a mission to use. I used it for many years and would get another if I had the need. I work for Robert Bosch Tools, so I am a little biased.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I had the Bosch 3-1/4" Planer (PL2632K) which I donated to a mission to use. I used it for many years and would get another if I had the need. I work for Robert Bosch Tools, so I am a little biased.

I have three Bosch routers, 2 - 1617EVS and 1 Colt. Love them. I was looking at the Bosch. Why does it only use one blade? Also, it appears the Porter Cable use the same blades. Tried to get on Bosch'e website to read the manual but was unable to.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I really need to take a look at new tools, Most of mine are 20 years or older.
What is newer are my Bosch including the 12 inch miter saw, 1/2 hand drill, 1617EVS router, Colt router...hmm thought I had more than that.

Really need a good hand held jig saw and one of those new oscillating saws that cuts at the end of the blade.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Eddie, there are two blades in the Bosch planer and those are double edge carbide blades; once one side dulls, you turn it around and use the other edge. PM sent.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I really need to take a look at new tools, Most of mine are 20 years or older.
What is newer are my Bosch including the 12 inch miter saw, 1/2 hand drill, 1617EVS router, Colt router...hmm thought I had more than that.

Really need a good hand held jig saw and one of those new oscillating saws that cuts at the end of the blade.

As for the oscillating saw, I have the Fein FMM350QSL and am very happy with it. Beings you don't already have one with an assortment of older style blades, I would recommend you go with one like it that has the Starlock type blades. The soft start, long (15') cord, and tool-less blade change system makes it a very nice and quiet tool to work with. The quick change feature makes it very quick and easy to adjust the angle of the cutter in relation to the tool to get into tight spots, etc. It will also take the Bosch Starlock blades, so there is a good variety of quality blades to choose from. (Bosch was the only brand I found that made a diamond blade that would cut through ceramic tile for a small job like opening a hole for bathroom plumbing fixtures, etc. I used mine to trim back the edge of some back splash tiles in my kitchen.) My second choice would have been the Bosch (no soft start and shorter cord). As for blades, the Fein and Bosch blades are my choice due to longevity. The downside of the Starlock system is that it doesn't work with in retro for the old style blades.

As for the power planer, I have the DeWalt, and it does hog off wood fast (lets you mess up at the speed of light, LOL) Okay for a large volume of large boards. but is heavy and like referenced above, makes a large mess quickly. Best suited for flat work where you can rest the tool on the board and have some room to work with. For just a few boards, I opt to use my scrub planes which work almost as quickly when you take into account set-up and clean-up time, so mine does not get used often.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS