I think I have an addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
Sitting at work today flipping through some sites on the internet looking at different tools( not working), I have come to believe I have an addiction to tools. It never seems I have what I want, every time I start a project I want something else. Does anyone else have this problem?

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
the British Dictionary (I used this one because the definition was more to my liking:D) defines addiction as the following:

Addiction
noun
1. the condition of being abnormally dependent on some habit, esp compulsive dependency on narcotic drugs

I see absolutely nothing abnormal about always wanting more tools; therefore, it must not be an addiction.:eusa_danc

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Tool acquisition Syndrome (TAS) is a pernicious affliction. I've been fighting it for years. It can, on many levels, bring your actual woodworking projects to a halt. Part of TAS comes from the subtle advertising in the projects we are exposed to.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Well I certainly wouldn't know anything about this topic...

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

ehpoole

Ethan
In the earlier years, and even well into the middle years, of a new hobby it is quite normal to find there are lots of tools that you either need or which would make your hobby easier, more accurate, faster, or just plain more enjoyable if only you could add them to your existing collection.

The good news, though, is that as time goes on and you have acquired all of the "essential" tools, along with many of those "nonessentials" that are either helpful or convenient to have, there does come a point when you will discover that there are fewer and fewer new tools that you either need or want. It never goes away entirely, but there will come a time, for most of us (I dare say) when we achieve a level of contentment and familiarity with what we already have and the hobby becomes more about expanding and refining our techniques than acquiring new tools. But, every now and then, you will still find the odd tool you need for a new project or which will make your work more enjoyable...if only you had it! There are periods where I may go several years without adding anything substantial to my existing collection of tools.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have no experience with this either. But I do seem to recall every DIY project when I was younger was an excuse to get a new tool. Must have gotten over it though in my later years.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have tools I need to get rid of, tools that were given to me and I've never used, tools that I thought I lost and had to buy duplicates of, tools that didn't work as expected, tools for projects that never developed, tools I bought for my son and now he has moved away. Probably some others...

Then there are my oft used and much loved tools that I would dearly miss if lost or stolen. Most of them I've had for 20 -40 years.

But new tools? I still haven't spent all of the prize I won last year. Can't think of anything I need.
Bought some stuff with the credit that I will probably give away...

Seems I do more and more with less and less.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Shawn,

You have early onset WGD. For those of us that have various stages of this affliction (see link for current definition), it is named after a talented woodworker originally from the Hickory area (John Richard aka Woodguy1975). John took advantage of industrial auctions and equipped his shop with substantially sized power tools. Not many of us have a three-head shaper or multiple bandsaws larger than 20", but John did -- hence the beginnings of Woodguy's Disease. My condolences.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I think I am in recovery. I have established habits with my "cornerstone tools" and find the gadget type tools to be less and less appealing. I must have my TS, Planer, Joiner.... I use the shaper on almost every project. I use my router on almost every project. I like the stroke sander I have and use it often. What I have found is the first three are essential to my habit. The others save time and effort. But one thing all my projects have in common is sanding. I use sandpaper all the time...I realized now that I may be losing an argument against myself.
Well maybe I am not in recovery, maybe I have reached my tolerance level...:icon_scra

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Or denial...
I think I am in recovery. I have established habits with my "cornerstone tools" and find the gadget type tools to be less and less appealing. I must have my TS, Planer, Joiner.... I use the shaper on almost every project. I use my router on almost every project. I like the stroke sander I have and use it often. What I have found is the first three are essential to my habit. The others save time and effort. But one thing all my projects have in common is sanding. I use sandpaper all the time...I realized now that I may be losing an argument against myself.
Well maybe I am not in recovery, maybe I have reached my tolerance level...:icon_scra

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have NO IDEA what youre talking about… yet somehow this arrived today 2015-03-24 18.47.12.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I don't view it as an addiction, more of an obligation. It is my duty to do my small part to assure that tool manufactures stay in business. If we all quit buying tools, what would happen to establishment like Klingspor, Woodcraft, Rockler, or manufacturers Lie-Nielsen, DeWalt, Powermatic, Delta, Jet, etc., etc., etc. It Not an addiction, it an obligation and I am proud to do my part!:)

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have tools I need to get rid of, tools that were given to me and I've never used, tools that I thought I lost and had to buy duplicates of, tools that didn't work as expected, tools for projects that never developed, tools I bought for my son and now he has moved away. Probably some others...

Then there are my oft used and much loved tools that I would dearly miss if lost or stolen. Most of them I've had for 20 -40 years.

But new tools? I still haven't spent all of the prize I won last year. Can't think of anything I need.
Bought some stuff with the credit that I will probably give away...

Seems I do more and more with less and less.

That is a sad story, I am available for donations at any time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS