Veterans Day Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
US Army - 11B2P Sergeant, Infantry - C Troop 1/17th Air Cavalry 82d Airborne Division 1981-1985
Various and sundry Rapid Deployment Force adventures, including a Carribean vacation in Grenada.
Plus three more years in the NC National Guard as an 02M. (We'll let you guys figure that one out...)

Anyone else out there that isn't a dirty stinkin' leg?

:gar-Bi

K

I'll bet you did a 'bang up ' job too! Or was it a cymbally good job?

Glennbear

Glenn
Due to a pretty serious auto accident and subsequent Selective Service reclassification I was found ineligible for active duty. I ended up serving as a civilian air defense technician at Battery C, 7th BN, 112th Artillery in South Plainfield, NJ. Our site was the radar area for a Nike-Hercules missile installation protecting the NYC area from USSR bombers. With the advent of ICBMs we became irrelevant and the site is now a shopping center LOL.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I never served and will forever regret it. My brother is currently a Kiowa pilot in the middle east serving in the Army. Thank you to all that are serving and have served! We are grateful for your service and sacrifice.

Ed D

New User
Ed
USN
1968-69 Flight Training NAS Pensacola, NAS Corpus Christi

1970-1995 Various aviation squadrons (VP-31, VP-9, VP-56, CO VP-5) flying the P-3 Orion on deployments to North Atlantic, Mediterranean, SE Asia, Japan, Okinawa, Diego Garcia (Indian Ocean). Non flying assignments with Navy Recruiting Command Staff, USS Nimitz(CVN-68), Patrol Wing 11, Navy War College, Navy Bureau of Personnel, Pentagon.

Retired as a Captain (06) after 27 years active duty. Would do every minute of it again. Ed

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
USA
70-73
Number 43 in the first lottery.
Basic at Fort Leonard Wood, where my CO was Capt. Robert K. Brown, who put out Soldier of Fortune magazine later on. We enjoyed his Christmas cards, with him posing with a SMG.
Training at Ft. Monmouth, NJ where I got my 32F2T MOS.
Crypto Ranger in RVN, SIGSUPA Phu Lam.
Last year at ANMCC, Ft. Ritchie, MD.

Roy G

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
USN for 9 years, served in many different roles. I don't look back at much of what I've done, but more at what others have. My heart and thanks goes out to all that have served, and more so for those who have faced the ultimate sacrifice.

Chris

Skymaster

New User
Jack
My God we have a bunch of squids!!!!!!!!!! My son did 24 Navy retired out as Chief, did A school, at, ASW on H3's, rolled into C 40's, DC9's ect, plus SAR.
I think Dave was in the Delta, well my brother in law covered your butt LOL, Seawolves in the brown water delta as a doorgunner.
I am embarrassed cause all I did was USAF 1957 to 1961, intercept radio op, then AC&W with 602 in Germany, then to wonderful downtown Dhahran,Saudi Arabia as a MARS Operator, we were also clandestine SAC base. All my birds were in Tripoli on call. Our runway was designed to launch Buff's in pairs :}

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Called my Dad today - thanked him for his service
USAF - forgot to ask him the dates...

I'm here because he and many of you made a sacrifice - and many more made the ultimate sacrifice!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I am not a veteran, but my sister sent a note of remembrance and tribute to her son-in-law who served 20 years in the USN aboard several Aegis-class cruisers, including the USS Leyte Gulf. I thought it appropriate to share their exchange.

She wrote: "Today is Veteran's Day, so it seems like a good time to say thanks for all you did to try to bring freedom and peace to thus crazy old world. Looking back through history makes me realize we wouldn't be where we are today if it hadn't been just for guys like you...so...you are one of the special ones. Love ya' Mom"

His reply: "Thank you very much. It's always touching when someone says such words to me. I committed myself to this country at the ripe age of 17 not knowing where the path would lead me. The history I learned in school about the military and the difference those people made pulled me in that direction. We don't set out to become the Halseys, Pattons, Lees, Schwarzkopfs or Murphys of the world we just do our job. We do our job because its what we believe in. We believe in the people, believe in freedom and most of all believe in the flag and the constitution and all it stands for. I served among some people that I would be challenged to find the words to describe but one word stands out more than others.. "patriot". People who love, support and defend. I will always get choked up during the National Anthem, the goose bumps and hair will always stand on end because it means something to me. I've touched the flag draped coffins in Lebanon in 1983 and since that day I knew I would spend my life serving this county. I don't talk about that day because I can't. My friends don't know about that day and my family don't know about that day. My brothers who where there do and we talk about it in silence.

It's nice to be recognized on veterans day I just wish the majority of the people would remember there are 365 days in a year. Remind people to dig into those history books. Don't let the "forgotten wars" like Korea really be forgotten because they did happen. Nearly 5 million people died. 40 thousand of them Americans and another 100 thousand wounded. If an entire war can be forgotten what's to make of the great battles Antietam, Midway, Iwo Jima, Gettysburg, Normandy, Lexington, etc... It's the people who need reminding. They need reminding why and how that flag has flown for 238 years. Has flown over every battle in every war. Why it's worshiped, saluted, respected, revered and feared. It's been stitched up many times and yet has never been beaten. Burned, used for dressings in battle and yet it's the most recognized symbol in the world. We fight for that flag everyday and people die for that flag everyday and everyday some 17 year old kid decides it's worth it. You know what...it is.

Again, thank you for recognizing me. Now join me in recognizing all of us Veterans everyday because we certainly think of you. From the sands in the desert, the sky's above or out riding the waves, someone, somewhere is watching.
Love you.
Greg

wayne

New User
wayne
As a veteran, I respect each and every one of the posters here who served in whatever form, fashion or place. The respect that veterans now receive is humbling and in some cases, long overdue.

Remember the '70's? Free love, hippy freaks, drugs and more drugs, Hari Krishnas in the airports, flower power and all that crap. I do! I returned from three deployments in Vietnam to a country which was tearing itself apart. Being a veteran was on the same level as a murderer or worse. The lefty freaks spit on us, cussed at us and called us every vile name they could come up with. When I was separated from the Navy in 1970 in Long Beach, we were told not to wear our uniforms off base because it was highly dangerous and not to go alone but in groups. Even then we stood out from the crowd, clean shaven and personally clean dressed in out of date clothes. We endured a lot of abuse.

Going home through the airports wasn't a pleasant experience. In order to fly military stand-by at a reduced rate I had to be in uniform. My dress whites made me stand out in the crowd and there was not one word spoken to me that was worth repeating. Nobody paid any attention to a returning veteran, other than for insults, and we were treated like low life baby killers or worse.
Once back home I put away the uniform and never spoke of what I had seen, where I went or what I did. Being a veteran wasn't something to be so I simply wasn't. Personally I am ashamed of myself for not being proud of what I did and hiding it. I forgot the oath I took "to defend and protect the Constitution of the United States from all enemies both foreign and domestic". An oath which has no expiration date. And I forgot the others who sacrificed so much more so I could live in a free country.

Happily that tide has turned, veterans are now recognized for their service and sacrifice. If I see an active duty service member in public, I will go out of my way to say something nice or pat them on the back. When I see someone with a cap on with a Vietnam veteran patch, I always say "welcome home" and strike up a conversation. Sure beats the cussing and insults we endured so long ago.

I thank everyone who posted here for their service to the country I am very proud to call my home.

Why do you want to turn a tribute thread into a political rant.

When you make the kind of comments you have made you are no better then the group you are denigrating

Last edited by a moderator:

DWSmith

New User
David
Not a political rant. Actually happened to a majority of the vets who returned from Vietnam. If you had been there you might understand a little of what I was trying to say.

Just to please you I will edit the post to make it more sanitary.

wayne

New User
wayne
Not a political rant. Actually happened to a majority of the vets who returned from Vietnam. If you had been there you might understand a little of what I was trying to say.

Just to please you I will edit the post to make it more sanitary.

Air Force 1971-1974

Cable Splicer Minute Man Missile system
Maintained communication system that tied nuclear missile systems together. Spent the 4 years between Air Force Base in Great Falls Mont. and base in Knob Noster Missouri. When us young troops complained about conditions we were informed by the old timers that there were two Air Forces, Life on a SAC base and then the normal Air Force.

In closing I know lots of the group you denigrated that once they got beyond their youthful indiscretion they became good productive upstanding citizens. Were they wrong in the way they treated returning Military during a tumultuous time in this country "most definitely". The sad part is we (collectivly speaking) apparently have'nt learned much from our mistakes.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
US Army 1973-1976
Basic at Ft. Jackson (Columbia, SC)
Combat Inf. Medic training at Ft. Sam and Camp Bullis (San Antonio, TX)
Ft. Jackson, TRADOC, EMT for live fire ranges and base EMS coverage
McKee Barracks (Crailsheim, Germany) 1st Armor Div, Combat Medic, Base Medical Clinic when not guarding the Czech border

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
US Army early 1970's Helicopters UH-1 and OH 6, OH 58
USAF 1979 -1994 fastmovers and helicopters
Loved the AF and did not miss the Army. Retired living the dream.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
US Marines 1970 - 1974, Cobra Mechanic
US Army 1976 - 1993, started out as a combat engineer, left that for the oxymoron field (Military Intelligence) and remained in that field until I retired.
Travelled to 22 different countries through out the world and don't regret one moment of it.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
USAF Enlisted: 1967-1997

Farthest North: Thule, Greenland
Farthest South: Woomera, Australia
Farthest East: Masira, Oman
Farthest West: Phu Cat AB RVN, Jan 1969-Jan 1970

+ a whole bunch of places in between.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.