Festool is actually having a sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Where, at any Festool dealer. Festool is famous for never offering their tools on sale. Well that ended this past weekend. They are offering their Domino Tools and accessories for 10% off.

I will soon have a very nice Freud Biscuit Joiner for sale in the classifieds as soon as I can take photos and determine a fair price. Watch the classifieds for details.

Yes, I know the stuff is still expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for.

They do stand behind their products. If you recently bought a TS-55 REQ track saw that has been recalled for safety reasons, they are offering to replace it at no cost with a TS-75, or refund your purchase price in full.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Ken,
I love quality tools but for me, youll NEVER sell me on the idea of a $600 cordless drill or $500 palm sander or $1400 miter saw..... Not even with a measly 10% discount. How can anyone think their $600 cordless drill is any better than a 18v Dewalt? Ive had mine for I dont know how long, its been dropped, kicked off of roofs, ladders and left in the rain for a week.... all for I think $139....

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris,
I think it is the whole Chevy, Ford, Mercedes argument.
Some people want what they feel is the best their money can buy.
Some people believe that festool is THE best.
I understand that dust collection, battery life and MANY other features have been thought through (engineered) thoroughly.

I don't have any, woodworking is a hobby for me, but if money weren't an issue I would consider it!

kclark

New User
Kevin
Ken
It's your money. Spend it the way that you want. I am going to give the political answer from my point of view AKA my opinion. I agree with both of you. Yes there stuff is expensive and I had a very hard time swallowing the cost when I bought my first tool from them. But I 'll tell you that I have never looked back. I bought one of the RO150 with dust collector. LOVE IT!!! My wife was always complaining about the dust in the air and dust on her car when she would come into the garage after I was done. Now I don't have that problem. The sander is very efficient and so is the dust extractor. There 220 sandpaper results in the 400 that I use to use. I also use the dust extractor on my router table and works great. So my next tool was the TS-55 REQ track saw. Love this thing. I use to hate using a Skil saw. I about try to find an excuse to use it. My wife was certainly impressed by it. Low saw dust and much quieter that other brands.

But then Chris I agree with you on the Kapax and their drills. Now if I was a "PRO" doing it day in and day out with a nice show and so on, maybe. But unless I win the lottery neither will happen.

But I am getting ready to spring for the barrel handle Carvex Jig Saw. I have use one and works great also. One thing that I have found out in woodworking, is that there are certain things that you do get what you pay for and other things you can probably get by with going to HF. But I have found that I have increased my ability and my workmanship with better tools.

We can all go on and on with this topic just as people have in the past on this board and other boards. When I was growing up my father always bought a Ford Pinto to get him back and forth to work. He always said it it has 4 wheels and a motor and got him from point A to B. It was a lot less money than other cars on the road that also had 4 wheels and motor but for him it did what he wanted. Much like a Domino (Cadillac) versus a Ryobi (Pinto). But tools are just like cars and everything else, its up to the individual what they want to buy and what they feel is right for them.

In short, I agree with both of you. I can see spending my money on a few of Festool's tools but not for others. And before anyone gets started, I am not arguing just expressing my opinion.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ken,
I love quality tools but for me, youll NEVER sell me on the idea of a $600 cordless drill or $500 palm sander or $1400 miter saw..... Not even with a measly 10% discount. How can anyone think their $600 cordless drill is any better than a 18v Dewalt? Ive had mine for I dont know how long, its been dropped, kicked off of roofs, ladders and left in the rain for a week.... all for I think $139....

The basic Festool cordless drill / driver is $295 - not $600.

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-56427...&qid=1398785938&sr=8-1&keywords=festool+drill

A Festool ETS 125 is $195.00, not $500.

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-57181...qid=1398786040&sr=8-1&keywords=festool+sander

Yes, they are more expensive (but it's not that much more), but most of their products are in a class of their own in terms of dust collection, engineering, quality and functionality.

batk30msu

New User
brent
Plus who even offers anything like the domino? Festool is your only choice I think so take advantage of the sale before they change their minds. I know you could "build your own" with a palm router but how well will that hold up? While I have not used one it puts a biscuit joint to shame. You are paying a premium for the high level of engineering and the innovation, thats for sure.

I am sure you will enjoy it!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've always said with Festool that I've always agonized over the price but never regretted a purchase. It's a system. A very well engineered system. And Brent is correct, the Domino is one of a kind.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
The basic Festool cordless drill / driver is $295 - not $600.

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-56427...&qid=1398785938&sr=8-1&keywords=festool+drill

A Festool ETS 125 is $195.00, not $500.

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-57181...qid=1398786040&sr=8-1&keywords=festool+sander

Yes, they are more expensive (but it's not that much more), but most of their products are in a class of their own in terms of dust collection, engineering, quality and functionality.

Those prices are STILL TWICE as high as any competitive product for their (Festools) base models. Im a design engineer for 30 years, Youll never sell me they are designed and built 2-3 better than everyone else. I had to really laugh when I came across a "Festool Owners Group" or FOG.... then it hit me, they are trying to use the Harley Davidson Marketing model!.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
The only problem I see with festool products is they aren't very versatile when it comes to what you can do with them. They're good for wood working and leaving them in the shop for inside use. I'd like to hear from someone who has thrown them in and out of his truck for two or three years and see how well they've held up. Now granted I don't have to normally take tools anywhere other than the bag of tools I take with me on deliveries. I do work outside in rainy/misty conditions and I'm not easy on any of our tools so durability is something that is a must with any tool.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
It's funny because Festool is not catering to shop or inside use. Everything about them is for mobility and for job site use.

blakeyon2asd

New User
blake
It's funny because Festool is not catering to shop or inside use. Everything about them is for mobility and for job site use.
I wonder why no one uses them in other applications other than wood working if that's what they are directed at. It seems to me a contractor would rather have something like track saws, and kapex miter saws. It would keep things a lot more accurate or inline.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
As a commercial contractor I have used my Festool track saw to trim solid core doors and to cut glass openings in solid doors hundreds of times. With any other saw I would have to carry the doors down and out to the loading dock. Since the Festool has such great dust collection I can cut them right in the office. Plus the track system is so good all I have to do is line up the track with my marks and cut, there is no need for any clamps to hold the track - I was not even aware they sell clamps, there is just no need. No other saw will do that. Yes it cost more but for my purpose it is absolutely worth it.

I also own one of the top end Festool sanders. I unfortunately also still own several belt sanders, many palm sanders, air sanders in several flavors and almost everything else that I thought would make sanding easier - they are now obsolete and just sit under the bench. The Festool with its quick switch pads, dual modes and excellent dust collection will run circles around the rest, yes it was $500+ but that is a lot less than all the sanders it replaced and did I mention the great dust collection. Recently my Festool was used for virtually every step of a car restoration from rust removal, panel shaping, finish sanding and all the way to buffing the final finish - Oh I forgot my polisher/buffer is also now retired. I am glad I bought it every time I pick it up

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I also own one of the top end Festool sanders. I unfortunately also still own several belt sanders, many palm sanders, air sanders in several flavors and almost everything else that I thought would make sanding easier - they are now obsolete and just sit under the bench.

Sounds like a big sander sale is coming at Phil's shop real soon. :gar-La;

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I had to really laugh when I came across a "Festool Owners Group" or FOG.... then it hit me, they are trying to use the Harley Davidson Marketing model!.

Too true! With Harley you get style, with Festool quality of design and manufacture.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey, does anyone want to talk about SawStop???? I mean, while were here.

Sure I have one of those also. I gravitate towards quality. But lets not get too far afield. Although they are also having an unheard of sale. Maybe the price models are slipping slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS