Market price for winter propane rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Heads up for anybody using propane..there are shortages in the Midwest plus the cold weather everywhere east of Idaho that are driving prices up here in NC (and everywhere else I'm sure).

Good description here:
http://www.ferrellgas.com/PropaneSupplyandDistribution

If you need more propane to finish out the heating season, better jump on it sooner rather than later.

I wanted another 100 gallons to finish out the heating season..Ferrell Gas quoted me $4.21/gal in residential volumes and Suburban quoted me $4.69/gal (!). I ended up ordering the additional 100 gallons for $3.09/gal - but how I got that price I'm not entirely sure, although I am existing Suburban customer.

Both Ferrell and Suburban warned me about possible future shortages and rising prices. May have been a sales ploy, but there is still a lot of winter left.

Stay warm

-Mark

Glennbear

Glenn
From a press release put out by the National Propane Gas Association :

An important difference between this year and previous years is the extent of propane exports into the world market. In 2013, more than 20% of total U.S. propane was exported, up from 5% in 2008.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Good God man why is propane so expensive in NC? It was 1.79 a gallon when i filled up at the beginning of the month.

jaustin

john
Corporate Member
I payed $2.99 at Tractor Supply Friday to fill 100 lbs tank that I heat the shop with.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Cause they can charge what they want. Plus we don't have any refineries here. There used to be a refinery in Duvaul IN, if memory serves me correct, which isn't terribly far from you. I filled house up in Nov, and it was $2.25 a gallon. Filled rental house in Dec for $2.75 a gallon. Pipe line terminals are located hundreds of miles apart on east coast. There is one in Aiken SC, Apex NC, and Millerton PA. Apex terminal is running 24/7 right now, with tankers often having to wait in line 3-4 hours to fill up.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
So propane is not regulated in NC then?
To the best of my knowledge, propane pricing and specific terms of service aren't regulated anywhere in the US.

By 'terms of service' I mean things like whether the customer must buy or lease a tank, who is allowed to fill the tank, what incidental fees are/aren't lawful, etc.

-Mark

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
And if you use propane exchanges to fill your 20lb grill cylinder watch out because you are paying the 20lb price but getting 15 or 17.5 lbs.

I always get mine topped off at a filling station at least I can verify that I got what I paid for.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Here in South Durham, I think we're out of places you can go to get 20lb in a 20lb tank. You're essentially stuck with exchanging tanks at the lowest price you can find (or driving to a U-Haul location to find a filling service).

:(

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Here in South Durham, I think we're out of places you can go to get 20lb in a 20lb tank. You're essentially stuck with exchanging tanks at the lowest price you can find (or driving to a U-Haul location to find a filling service).

:(

check BJ's up by briar creek / rdu, they used to fill tanks.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I drive over to Garner to fill my propane tanks, at F&G Distributing on Loop Road. Last time we went, eleven (11) 20 pound tanks filled was $143 and some change. That works out $13 for 20 pound cylinder filled. Saved over $80 over local prices. Their price is adjusted according to what they have to pay for propane. Besides price,next best part is I can pull trailer right up to filling station, and not have to handle tanks.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
When I was building our last home I had planned to use propane for the cook top and one of the fireplaces. I had just installed the electric water-heater when a rep from Piedmont Natural Gas stopped by and offered to supply our neighborhood with natural gas. I moved the water-heater to another house and never looked back.

Unfortunately, North Carolina does not seem to have access to natural gas in a lot of areas. I am amazed that as far out in the country as we are that we have access to natural gas.

Pete

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Apex Propane keeps our 125 gallon tank full. We use it for gas logs. When we fill our 25 pound cans for my auxiliary heater, they charge us the same price that we pay for the big tank. We just filled three tanks, but I don't remember the cost. It may have been $18.

Last edited:

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
When I was building our last home I had planned to use propane for the cook top and one of the fireplaces. I had just installed the electric water-heater when a rep from Piedmont Natural Gas stopped by and offered to supply our neighborhood with natural gas. I moved the water-heater to another house and never looked back.

Unfortunately, North Carolina does not seem to have access to natural gas in a lot of areas. I am amazed that as far out in the country as we are that we have access to natural gas.

Pete
I can literally SEE the natural gas line in my neighborhood, but PSNC want's $3500 to run it to my house. It's really frustrating.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
We are all sharing the same pain. Carolane Propane just refilled my 500 gallon tank (80% max fill = 400 gal). 265 gallons at $3.26/gal and the extra bite was $60 sales tax.

My 6 year average is $2.85/gal. In '06-'07 it was $2.10/gal.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I got tired of the high propane charges and switched to an electric heat pump. You don't get the warm blast of air but the house is warm and is so much cheaper.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

thsb

New User
Tim
i just changed out my HVAC at the house my in-laws live in and didn't go with a heat pump because it is poorly insulated and I thought the heat strips would create a huge bill. with the price of propane I think that was a mistake and I regret the decision.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I sure don't like heat pumps despite all of the hype about them. I'll pay for the propane and have warmth so that I don't feel cold.

Set a heat pump floor vent next to a propane or natural gas vent and set both at 68 degrees. Feel the difference on your bare feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS