Why aren't you a Corporate Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Why aren't you a Corporate Member???

To me it is an interesting question. We have many users who have provided all the infomation needed and have met the other requirements, but just refuse to check the opt-in in their settings. I have always wondered why.

Please share with us your reasons. It would be very helpful. Thanks.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I think I read somewhere our private info becomes available or something like that. I forget and am not sure where to look at what corp member means.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I am a Corporate Member now, but thought long and hard about providing real name, address, and contact info to do it. After a few shop crawls and reading I became conviced this might be one of the few places to trust with the data, especially since there are also real world contacts made throught the site.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
A question to those who worry about giving their name and address:

Whats the problem? I'm not trying to be a wise guy or anything. I honestly don't see what harm could be done.

I worry more watching a waiter/waitress walk off with my Credit Card.

pete

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
A question to those who worry about giving their name and address:

Whats the problem? I'm not trying to be a wise guy or anything. I honestly don't see what harm could be done.

I worry more watching a waiter/waitress walk off with my Credit Card.

pete

The problem I had is that I don't want my name, address and phone number being sold to a 3rd party provider who will then start spamming me with mail, calling trying to sell me something, ask for money, etc. FYI, I am a corporate member, but did have to think about it for a few days before deciding this was an honest bunch of people :)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
There is a whole group of people who have given us their contact info for discounts at Klingspor, woodworking source, etc. but still don't do the opt in for corporate membership.

terry1166

New User
Terry
Steve:
I had never looked in detail at the corporate member requirements. I had in my mind that this was for "professional" woodworkers who were involved in woodworking as a business. I've opted in as a corporate member in the settings section but when I log out and log back in it still shows me as a "senior user" in my NCWW specific tab of my profile. Should this change to "Corporate Member" once since I have opted in?

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
There is a whole group of people who have given us their contact info for discounts at Klingspor, woodworking source, etc. but still don't do the opt in for corporate membership.

Is it unreasonable to send each an email simply (one sentance) explaining the difference and with a link where they could opt in with one click?

kclark

New User
Kevin

I have been a DQ member for nearly a year now and a corporate member for about 6 months and I have yet to see discount information for the vendors. I don't know whether I have to ask for it or if it is suppose to be sent out each month.

batk30msu

New User
brent
Being new to the site, I didnt have the easiest time finding the info. This post just gave me the reminder to look now that I am more familiar and I found the opt in messages.

Maybe an automated message to new members (like the ones Steve H sends about new member chats) could go out explaining how to opt in.

A detailed list of the possible benefits may also be nice, listing the specific discounts. Can that be found anywhere on the site?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Displaying changes in title don't happen until the middle of the night. It is a scheduled task.
Steve:
I had never looked in detail at the corporate member requirements. I had in my mind that this was for "professional" woodworkers who were involved in woodworking as a business. I've opted in as a corporate member in the settings section but when I log out and log back in it still shows me as a "senior user" in my NCWW specific tab of my profile. Should this change to "Corporate Member" once since I have opted in?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Becoming a corporate member is not just an opt in process. See this article.
Being new to the site, I didnt have the easiest time finding the info. This post just gave me the reminder to look now that I am more familiar and I found the opt in messages.

Maybe an automated message to new members (like the ones Steve H sends about new member chats) could go out explaining how to opt in.

A detailed list of the possible benefits may also be nice, listing the specific discounts. Can that be found anywhere on the site?

Last edited:

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Steve-
Interestingly enough, I intentionally never opted in to corporate membership but some time ago (I think it was right after you were having server problems and the site was down for several days), I noticed that I have "Corporate Member" next to my name. I'm not sure how that happened. I intentionally never opted in because I don't consider myself an "active" member or woodworker and my thought has always been to let the active members make the decisions on how to run NCWW. While I may log onto the site nearly every day, the reason for that is I spend a lot of time at work in front of a computer and sometimes I just wander over to NCWW as a break. I enjoy reading many of the threads and seeing others' projects. I have 2 kids and my free time is consumed with their activities leaving very little time for woodworking (my recent boat purchase hasn't helped much either). I'm not complaining about the lack of free time (although I am envious when I see how many woodworking projects some members are able to complete). I know my kids will be grown up before I know it and moving out of the house. I'm just trying to spend as much time with them as I can while they are young.

I am a Corporate Member now, but thought long and hard about providing real name, address, and contact info to do it. After a few shop crawls and reading I became conviced this might be one of the few places to trust with the data, especially since there are also real world contacts made throught the site.

I ditto all of these thoughts and add that I did not understand the reason to do it for the longest time.... and please correct me if I am wrong the only benefit to do it is to be able to vote for BOD or be on the BOD and I guess to also be a MOD or Staff member....... A PERSON CAN GET DISCOUNT QUALIFIED without being a Corporate member

The one thing I wish we could do as a corporate member would be able to set up cash accounts as companies that will not sell to individuals woodworkers but I guess that would be too complicated and too many obstacles but it is the thought that counts right

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I have been a DQ member for nearly a year now and a corporate member for about 6 months and I have yet to see discount information for the vendors. I don't know whether I have to ask for it or if it is suppose to be sent out each month.
The article that talks about DQ seems to be out of date. Let me get it updated with the latest info. Give me until next week and we'll have it all updated and accurate.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve-
Interestingly enough, I intentionally never opted in to corporate membership but some time ago (I think it was right after you were having server problems and the site was down for several days), I noticed that I have "Corporate Member" next to my name. I'm not sure how that happened. I intentionally never opted in because I don't consider myself an "active" member or woodworker and my thought has always been to let the active members make the decisions on how to run NCWW. While I may log onto the site nearly every day, the reason for that is I spend a lot of time at work in front of a computer and sometimes I just wander over to NCWW as a break. I enjoy reading many of the threads and seeing others' projects. I have 2 kids and my free time is consumed with their activities leaving very little time for woodworking (my recent boat purchase hasn't helped much either). I'm not complaining about the lack of free time (although I am envious when I see how many woodworking projects some members are able to complete). I know my kids will be grown up before I know it and moving out of the house. I'm just trying to spend as much time with them as I can while they are young.
Christopher, I haven't done any real woodworking in 18 months:gar-Bi

As far as being an active member, you have been coming to this site since the beginning. You are user #19 and you registered 2 days after I opened the site. I promise, if anyone deserves to be a Corporate Member it is you.

ehpoole

Ethan
Is it unreasonable to send each an email simply (one sentance) explaining the difference and with a link where they could opt in with one click?

We can certainly send such an email, but from a practical standpoint we can't really do "one click" opt-in. There is more to establishing Corporate Member status than a simple on-off toggle (plus you need to be logged in to make changes to your account details).

We could, however, include the URLs to the General Settings and Edit Profile pages (all accessible from the "Settings" option, located in the upper right-hand corner of your screen) from which the member can setup their contact info (e.g. full name, telephone and mailing address) and then enable the Corporate Member option. We could also include a simple checklist of the requirements that must be satisfied to assist members in establishing their Corporate Member status, which should help the user set up all the required fields. We also need to remind users that they must have satisfied the "Who are We" post requirement and maintain a visitation frequency of 3.0 visit-days/week.

General Settings: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions
Edit Profile: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
We can certainly send such an email, but from a practical standpoint we can't really do "one click" opt-in. There is more to establishing Corporate Member status than a simple on-off toggle (plus you need to be logged in to make changes to your account details).

We could, however, include the URLs to the General Settings and Edit Profile pages (all accessible from the "Settings" option, located in the upper right-hand corner of your screen) from which the member can setup their contact info (e.g. full name, telephone and mailing address) and then enable the Corporate Member option. We could also include a simple checklist of the requirements that must be satisfied to assist members in establishing their Corporate Member status, which should help the user set up all the required fields. We also need to remind users that they must have satisfied the "Who are We" post requirement and maintain a visitation frequency of 3.0 visit-days/week.

General Settings: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions
Edit Profile: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile
Ethan, I think you may be taking Steve's request too literally. I suspect that an email with a link to the right area for the opt in is more than satisfactory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS