Blank for Banjo neck, preferably maple and rawhide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdulaney

New User
John
Hey, all, does anyone know where I could find some nice curly maple that would make a good blank for a banjo neck? I'm thinking something four foot long by three inches square. I'd prefer local to NC.

Also, anyone know where a smallish bit of rawhide (dear or cat) could be found for a banjo drum?

I've been given a nice gourd to start from.

Thanks much,
John.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Want me to to save the next groundhog I find DOR?:rotflm: Very traditional material for head.

Or I could volunteer the neighbors cat. Wouldn't mind finding a new home for it. Especially when I find it's been using my garden for a litter box.:frown3qg: I would consider being turned into a music maker would be a vast improvement.

Seriously, if you have any local lumber suppliers, stop in and tell them what you are looking for. I have found they often have a stash of "pretty wood" squirreled away for just such a project.

Depending on where you are, several members in your area could probably seer you in the right direction.

Please post pictures of your project.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I've never built a Banjo but 48" is mighty long. Most long neck Banjos are 32" scale. You can make a neck out of 1" stock, splice in a headstock and a heel block if you can't find (or afford!) a piece of 3X3. http://notablewoods.com/index.html has some very nice 3A Fiddleback Bigleaf Maple at a reasonable prices. He should be able to whack you out a blank but you'll need to contact him as he doesn't list neck blanks on his site. Also http://rctonewoods.com/RCT_Store/ can get about anything and are great people to do business with.

Oh....Mark I need some guitar strings if you repurpose your neighbor's cat.:rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
If you find some reasonable priced seasoned and kiln dried 3x3x48" hard maple heartwood neck blanks please let me know.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS