Zero clearance table saw inserts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen in several books a good way to install shop made table saw inserts is to use hot melt glue to level.

Is there a trick? I have use too much glue, too little glue and have yet to get one level.

Do you put the glue on the insert first or the saw supports.

I can see were this would be easy once I get the hang of the process.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use a strip of masking tape.

I think the glue would compress after you press down on it. Have you tried putting a little to much then pressing down to make it flush?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
The way I used to do it was:
Smear some Vaseline on the saw insert's ledges.
Glob on some hot melt.
Lay the insert into it's position (work fast!)
Press something like plywood over the insert, forcing the glue to squeeze out and leveling the insert.

BTW, I prefer using allen screws in the inserts. That tip is as old as hot melt glue and my results were disappointing.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
BTW, I prefer using allen screws in the inserts. That tip is as old as hot melt glue and my results were disappointing.

This is the way I do them. It really doesn't take any longer (once you have a template!). I keep a stock of 8-32 x 7/16 Allen set screws. I just drill a hole 1 number bit smaller and let the allen screw "self tap" - you could use a tap as well.

It's quick and it will give you very precise setting of the ZCI.

I've also seen small flat head screws screwed into the bottom of the ZCI at the ledge ears. Then screw in our out to make fine adjustments.

C.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I used the same method as Mike, a piece of tape. Now I just use small screws on the bottom side as Chris stated.

The problem with hot melt glue is it will still compress a little even after it sets up. When using a featherboard to press down on the workpiece, when cutting a rabbet, for instance, the pressure from the featherboard can compress the glue under the ZCI enough that the workpiece will catch on the edge of the saw table as it passes the end of the ZCI.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Set screws let you adjust/re-adjust the height of the insert from above any time you decide that it isn't the right height. I gave up on hot melt glue, tape, and other methods years ago.

Charley

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
+1 for the allen screws: easy to install; easy to adjust from the top. I lay a straight edge across the ZCI and tighten the screws down until the plate is level w/ the table.

Bill

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I've also seen small flat head screws screwed into the bottom of the ZCI at the ledge ears. Then screw in our out to make fine adjustments.

C.

!DOH! to be said in my best Homer Simpson voice.

I've been using masking tape on the inserts for my Craftsmans. It is from the 50's and has a thin lip on the insert edge. Tape has worked, but needs some fussing. Drilling and tapping 4 little lift screws should work just fine. It will also give me a bit more slack when I make an insert.

Thanks for my weekend project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS