Wood Inlays

Status
Not open for further replies.

stal023

New User
Stal
Just being a beginners, if I wanted to dress up my piece a bit, does it make sense to learn how to do your own wood inlays, or buy the inlays off a site like this?

http://www.inlays.com/Furniture-Inlay-s/1838.htm

And because I know nothing about these bought inlays, I'm guessing you just route in your depth, and glue this in? Is that correct?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I attended Matt's workshop and really learned a lot there. Matt is an extremely helpful guy and will likely chime in here with some advice if you have specific questions. Definitely check out his website and mention NCWW if you order any banding or other supplies from him.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hi Stal - I do a little bit of basic inlay work myself.

In general it is fair to say that you route to depth, glue in the inlay and then level the inlay with the surface. Commercial delicate inlays come with a backing that needs to be removed as part of the leveling process.

If you want fancy inlays, then buying pre-made inlays is the easiest way to go. But you can make your own simple inlays. In the photo below the white stringing, the checkerboard inlay and the 'bell' inlay (see stretcher on the righthand side) are all handmade.

Lower_leg_and_stretcher_detail_640x480.jpg

Try it..it's easier than you think.

-Mark

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
HOLY COW Mike,
That crib is gorgeous!

Everyone - you need to go to Mike's gallery and look at the crib, fantastic craftsmanship (Plus the added beauty of the inlay!!!)

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
You may find some tips, links to videos, and other neat stuff about inlays on my website at www.inlaybanding.com

Matt...

Just being a beginners, if I wanted to dress up my piece a bit, does it make sense to learn how to do your own wood inlays, or buy the inlays off a site like this?

http://www.inlays.com/Furniture-Inlay-s/1838.htm

And because I know nothing about these bought inlays, I'm guessing you just route in your depth, and glue this in? Is that correct?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
www.inlaybanding.com

Matt, thanks for a great site. Lots of good tips and how to information. I've never considered doing banding but you've got me interested so maybe another chapter in the journey will be written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS