Tormek or Worksharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I only occasionally sharpen chisels and plane irons. I had a Tormek, didn't like it, couldn't get the edge square, didn't always get a sharp edge, always made a water mess. I got it from a friend really cheap, but Tormeks are way too expensive for what you get mechanically.

I sold the Tormek and bought a WS300- got a square, sharp edge in much less time with much less mess right out of the box. I had a lot of money left over to buy other stuff also. The WS fit my needs and budget.

I didn't try sharpening lathe tools on the Tormek and haven't done so on the WS yet either.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Rob,

I'm getting the WS it's idiot proof, so it's for me. I don't plan on sharpening jointer or planer blades, I'll send them out instead. I'm not saying that the Tormek isn't good, but it's expensive and so are the attachments, I have other places that need my money.

Good luck, because you won't go wrong with either.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I don't have any problem keeping plane blades sharp manually (with a honing guide), but I really don't do a lot of flat work (lately, I don't do a lot of anything). Gouges are the real challenge for me. For such a specialized sharpener, it is hard to justify the price, but my answer is C - Jooltool:
Watch this:
http://www.jooltool.com/media/Rounded Gouge Chisel SMALL.mpg
main site:
http://www.jooltool.com/index.htm
a review:
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/product-reviews/jool-tool.php

EDIT - one more review, because this one mentions flat plane blades as well, so it is more versatile than I thought:

http://www.woodworking.com/article_archive.cfm?section=5&article=1855

Rob

New User
Rob
I'm looking at sharpening chisels and planes, I have a Wolverine sharpening system for lathe tools.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Both are probably good for your needs. Instead of the Tormek brand, consider what many have been talking about in the Grizzly offering.

I have the Tormek. The first couple times getting square does have a learning curve, but it's easy after that (of course, I didn't read the manual ... just tried blindly at first). I too have a high speed grinder for my lathe chisels, but let me tell you what a beautiful, and sharper, edge the Tormek can put on a Skew and Bowl Gouge ... MUCH better than my high speed grinder was doing and it can be seen, and felt, on the lathe.

As for chisels, I do think the WS would be quicker to just jam the chisel into the the little guided slot and push ... doesn't get much easier. I plan to add one of these to the shop one day too ... just a matter of time and money.

So, get both.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
How does the WS work on lathe tools like bowl gouges?

Bob,
I've heard that the WS is a little hard to learn for sharpening dull turning tools, but they are supposed to be good for touching up the tools while turning:dontknow:.

CarvedTones

Andy
If you watched that video on the JoolTool, that is what it excels at. Bas showed me his WS, but not operating just talking about it. He said it will also use those fan like disks that you can see through to sharpen from the underside, so you could do the marker trick they show on the JoolTool video (I think). The WS does seem to be cheaper and better for what is likely more common for most folks.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
If you watched that video on the JoolTool, that is what it excels at. Bas showed me his WS, but not operating just talking about it. He said it will also use those fan like disks that you can see through to sharpen from the underside, so you could do the marker trick they show on the JoolTool video (I think). The WS does seem to be cheaper and better for what is likely more common for most folks.

I saw a demo of the JoolTool at a WW show- IMHO it was a VERY expensive blender and only good for free-hand sharpening of lathe tools. The slotted wheel on the WS is as good or better as that on the JT. The best thing about the JoolTool was the demonstrator/inventor- an attractive lady in a low-cut blouse! :eek: :rotflm:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
My B-I-L has a Tormek. I just got a Worksharp last xmas.

I have no problem using water stones to touch up a chisel or plane blade - in fact I prefer it. But _getting_ the blades in proper shape for the final sharpening was taking me forever. The WS does it in just a few minutes - probably less if I wasn't going very slow and frequently quenching the blades to keep them cool. I can't imagine how it could be easier. After trying it a few times, I don't need to touch up chisels on the stones. For plane blades, I might still do it, though.

I'm not a turner, but the video for the WS shows using the slotted disk so you can see the edge while sharpening from below - that seems like it would be a real benefit. I've got a number of carving chisels I'd like to try that on someday.

Now - I _do_ have some scissors that I'd like to try sharpening on the WS, but haven't figured out a way to do it, yet. I know there is some clever jig for doing it on the Tormek/clones.

Chris

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I have had the Tormek for several years and it works great for all my sharpening needs including chisels, gouges, planer blades, hand plane blades, scissors, and knives.

CarvedTones

Andy
I saw a demo of the JoolTool at a WW show- IMHO it was a VERY expensive blender and only good for free-hand sharpening of lathe tools. The slotted wheel on the WS is as good or better as that on the JT. The best thing about the JoolTool was the demonstrator/inventor- an attractive lady in a low-cut blouse! :eek: :rotflm:
I had the same impression (about the "blender"; have only seen the lady's hands in the videos :) ). As I said in my initial post, it is hard to justify the price. It does seem like it would be great for carving tools. One thing I wondered was if you could get just a shaft and cutting discs for a DP. It would have to take the discs upside down, though.

CarvedTones

Andy
Poking around a bit, I found that the WS 2000 is only $99 and the "Edge Vision" wheels are only an extra $14. It also has the smaller footprint (I know; you guys with the big shops already consider the 3000 small). The JoolTool is losing its appeal.

Rob

New User
Rob
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the Jooltool, mainly because of the freen hand part. I like jigs, especially for the repeatability. If I could free hand I probably wouldn't drop the money on a sharpener.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
I have the Tormek and wouldn't think of parting with it. I actually sharpen more kitchen knives that workshop tools with it. It is amazing how many people have never used a SHARP kitchen knife.

I have sharpened planer blades (even the disposables once or twice), an ax, turning tools, lawnmower blades and just about anything with an edge. Yep, it is messy and takes a bit of time to set up. Gettting a square edge on the chisel or plane blade takes some feel to get it right (two thumb screws that must be tightened just right) but nothing too difficult.

CarvedTones

Andy
The funny thing is that I have to do a head slap "Duh!" on using the marker as shown in the video to get the angle right when sharpening a gouge. It doesn't matter whether you use the JT, WS or sandpaper on glass - it will show you if you have the angle right.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a Tormek and can sharpen all of my chisels and plane blades in no time flat. Being able to sharpen knives, scissors, gouges, etc, etc, etc is a big plus, but it is definitively not cheap. I have heard the imitators stones don't last near as long so that is something to consider if you are considering a clone.

The WS looks like a neat tool. If all you plan to do is chisels and plane blades it wouldbe a good alternative IMO.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I have to agree the JoolTool doesn't look so hot. I'd avoid it unless someone you trust can speak up and swear by it.

As for the WS2000, just know it doesn't support the new Plane blade jig that PeteM posted about ... so it's just a chisel sharpener more/less.

As for deciding on Tormek, clone, or WS ... comes down to how you buy tools. In the end you can't make a horrible decision ... but you might make one you regret a little. Usually this goes like this ... spent too much = buyers remorse ... not enough quality = buyers remorse ... too limited = buyers remorse ... overkill = buyers remorse. Find out what triggers you.

If you want a sharpener for life, get a Tormek. You can't price shop and compare it to the WS ... not the same thing. They share some functionality, but there's little dispute that the Tormek (or its clones) can do much more.

If you go with a clone, do watch out for the quality of the stone. You might save $100 on the unit, but if the stone is crap it will cost you $100+ to buy a new stone probably. So you save a dollar now only to spend two dollars later. That doesn't mean there aren't good replacements, but do your homework ...

Also, if you aren't in a rush ... watch the ads. I picked up a Tormek fully loaded for the same price of a WorkSharp w/ accessories ... but the Tormek is better IMHO because it uses jigs for my lathe gouges for perfect repeatability (much like the jig on my high speed grinder, but even more precise). They do come up for sale and you can pick a used one up for a couple hundred bucks IF THAT IS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT.

If the WS does everything you need ... man, get it! It is pretty darn neat and I've seen the edge it makes on chisels ... as good as my Tormek from what I could see with the naked eye and would cut the hairs off your arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS