The LOML put in an order for ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
this and I finally delivered it today. Please excuse the crappy photog skills, I really am going to have to do better. Anyway, at first she was going to paint it so I constructed it entirely of poplar. Well then she changed her mind and wanted it stained. Sooo here it it. She wanted it to put in the kitchen to store whatever. It has two adjustable shelves in the top section and one in the bottom. All construction is frame and raised panels with traditional mortise and tennons. I made the doors the same way, choosing to give them the same look as the side panels. Give me some feedback on proportions. I started with some base measurements and designed it on the fly. I finished it with a blend of burnt umber and rose lake pigments for the base color and added a toner to the sealer to help even out the color. Top coat is pre-cat lacquer. The back boards are some mahogany tongue and groove wainscoating that I had aquired from a guy here in town. I didn't stain them, just a clear coat.
Mike,

DSCF0047.JPG

DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0051.JPG

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Mike. I can only dream of building something that nice. I'm sure you earned a few brownie points with LOYL! Congrats!
Randy

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Awesome work, Mike!

You sure could have fooled me on that stock! Poplar?? It looks like mahogany! So, is that crown molding also poplar?

You should be very, very proud of that piece, Mike. I, for one am very impressed!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wayne

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Canuck said:
Awesome work, Mike!

You sure could have fooled me on that stock! Poplar?? It looks like mahogany! So, is that crown molding also poplar?

You should be very, very proud of that piece, Mike. I, for one am very impressed!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wayne[/quote

Wayne,
Actually the only items that are not poplar are the three shelves ( blondwood with poplar facing) and the back ( mahogany) everything else is good ole cheap poplar.

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Mike, that is absolutely beautiful work. I find myself looking at the finish, looking at other posts, then going back to look at it again.

C'mon, what's it REALLY made of? That so does NOT look like poplar. Way too beautiful.

Fantastic job.

If I could do that I'd save a lot of money on stock! :lol:

Chuck

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Tried to clean up one of the pics to show more detail. Hope it helps.

MIke

047update_267320.JPG

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Wow, it looks even better with the lights on! :lol: Nice work Mike, great job transforming the look of that green stuff!:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey, I was playing with my mortiser :roll:

Mike, that is a beautiful piece of work. Note for you in the future when you make Poplar look like it is really nice wood don't tell anyone it's Poplar. :lol: :lol: I wouldn't have argued with Mahogany or Cherry. Awesome stain job, I would be very interested in your secrets.
Dave:)

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Nice work! :icon_thum And I thought you said you only had time for the repair work that was coming in...

Monty

New User
Monty
I like the proportions and design. I can't believe you got poplar to look that nice! You're obviously very talented with finishing.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, awesome job on the cabinet. Your proportions look fine to me and your finish is unbelievable. Very nicely done.:icon_thum

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Thats it mike,,you have to tell us how you pulled the Houdini and made the poplar look like that..I would really like to know becouse I have about 200bf left and I would LOVE to make my wife something that looks that good. I prob would be able to buy a new tool.,,lol be blessed friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS