The Great Chainsaw Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I want to see what kind of price I got on a chainsaw since I've been cutting with the same Husky for 16 years and figured it was time for a backup.I got a quote on a Stihl MS-310 with a 24" bar and chain plus the original 20" chain and bar as a package deal.What is a good price and also if anybody has this particular model what they think of it.It's almost 60 cc's and 4 hp so it should be a hoss.Thanx
Greg

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Great saw! Price should be about the same everywhere. Best way to get deals on a new stihl is know someone or get a discount from the store for having a business. What are they quoting you?

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
The package was under $400 out the door.I like Stihl's and Husky's and have used them both alot but I know not all saws are perfect.I was wondering about this specific model.With the new Tier 1 rules on Emissions there are some saws that are having problems and I wanted to make sure this was not one of them.Thanx,
Greg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I think you found a good price. The MS310 was running about $379 by itself with 20" chain and blade, but just checking the Stihl stores around here, it looks like the MS310 has been replaced with the MS 311. Problem is the price went up $100 (Just noticed the rest of the models went up between $50 and $100 from 2 months ago!!)

I would say jump on it. When that model is gone, you will be stuck with the bigger prices. Oh yeah, the bar will run $50+ by itself, and the chain for a 24" will be about $30, so I say go for it!!

My neighbor has one and it is one heck of a good saw. It will weigh in 15+ lbs. Don't know how that compares to the Husky

Go

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Greg, most of my saws are early 2000's model Stihl's, with one exception (a later model MS series). The later model saws have to meet more stringent emissions requirements, which means that some of the components cannot be repaired - only replaced.

I had to buy a new $120.00 carb for the MS saw this past year, because of a $5.00 part that could not be replaced...

If your old Husky is still going strong, you may want to leave well enough alone or buy a lightly used saw that's a few years old and mfg before the emmissions change.

Just my 2 cents...

Dragon

New User
David
Yeah, I remember the good old days when I could do a tuneup on my car in about an hour in the shade of the backyard. Nowadays, with all the rules for this and regulations for that, you need a degree in rocket science just to raise the hood. Heck, half the time I have to hunt the dipstick.

Like I tol' ya' last weekend Greg, my Husky's been running strong for the last two years I've had it and if you can get that good of a deal on the new Stihl............go for it. If you need service on either of them, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy that does my work.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Scott,
yeah if only I could find a 045 that was in good shape.Seems like the tree service guys owned all of them.As far as the new emissions laws,that was what made me hesitant.I have to pull the string on this deal by Saturday so finding something befor then is gonna be tough.By the way,i'm not giving up on my Husky,I just wanted a bigger bar/saw for the logs.And on that subject,I called a local Stihl dealer and asked him about putting a 24" bar on a MS-310 and he did not recommend it.He said to move up to a MS-390 but the money difference is big.The max bar that stihl recommends is a 20" and I can put that on my Husky.
Dave,
If I do decide to get this saw I'll let you know if I need any service.

I just found a MS-390 that looks half decent but it says ,"it runs well but doesn't idle well.Probably needs to be cleaned out."Or is it a situation like Scott Smith and it needs a new carb.I don't need a money pit,I need a bigger saw.

Scott,
I'll call you tomorrow about those trees,I got tied up this past Sunday.
Greg

wayne

New User
wayne
Greg

You're in Mocksville every day check with Mocksville Automotive he's the Husky dealer in town.Ted Hayes is the owner he may even know of a used saw for sale.Their're on south main street across from C's cafe. He is also the local Carquest store just don't mention my name he'll want to charge you double.

WAYNE

SubGuy

New User
Zach
If you want more saw, buy a used 044 or MS440. As for the MS390, If the saw doesn't look too warn, I bet it needs a new filter or when changing the filter, got some dust in the carb. I know from experience, owning a MS390 myself. I love the saw, it pulls 24" bar all day long. But, I would say a used 044 is gonna probably be best. They can pull either 32" or 36" bars (don't remember) so you go with 24" and a 32" and you can saw pretty much everything. Good luck on the decision.

I use a chainsaw daily and the only way to go is a MS 044 magnum, this is commerical grade and will last you the rest of your life....Yes they are a little pricey, but remember you get what you pay for. If you are cutting bigger stuff I love my MS 660 magnum, I mostly use a 24" bar on it but can go up to a 60" bar and yes it will pull it through Oak or Hickory no problem green or dry.... Here is our line up we use....MS026 60cc and it is a hoss 0-18" dia and also used for cutting turning blanks , MS044 Mag for medium stuff 18-24" in dia, then my favorite MS 660 Mag, I guess it one of those guy things were bigger louder faster is the winner....lol. Any of the above saws will work great for you....My opinion an 026 would be perfect for you....

SubGuy

New User
Zach
I always wanted, and still do, a MS660. But wouldn't it be nice to have the gear driven 090? Dreams........

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I just bought a lightly used ms 390 off of Craigslist for $300. while researching I descovered that you can still find a new 390 but the 391 on is the only one they advertise on their website. it is cleaner burning and uses less gas. The Same seems to be true for the 310 and 311.
I actually bought my saw from a guy in Mooresville. He posted the ad Sunday and I picked it up from him Monday.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Wish I had seen that ad,congrats to you on a great find.I ended up buying the 310,got it today for a smokin price.It is not tier 2 compliant so they could not sell them anymore.Payed alittle more than you did but it is brand new.Saw ,2 bars-20 and 24,2 chains and a sheath for the bar.I'm happy.
Greg

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I'd be interested in knowing how much difference you could notice in the 2 saws. I'm guessing not much. I started looking for a 290 but ran across the 390 for about the same everyone was asking for the 290
Here is the Craigslist ad. says $385 but I told him I would give him $300 for it and would be there that morning so he took it. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1629752887.html

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Ta,
We'll get together some time and compare the saws.I do know that yours will push a 24" bar easily while the 310 is better used with a 20".
Greg

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I went out and used it today (before it started raining) It cut through some locust that my brother in law's big husky had a time cutting.
Going to cut it into some pen blanks and some small bowl blanks. Man that stuff is hard as a rock

Rob

New User
Rob
I think I'll be looking at chainsaws in the near future, my 025 is a good saw, but only 18" blade, I'm wanting a 24" blade, but be able to go larger if I want. Looking at new prices, I'll probably be keeping my eye out for used.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Rob,
keep an eye out for some of the year old stihl's.They don't pass the new emisson laws and cannot be sold after a certain date.That is how I got mine for several hundred off.As far as a 24" bar,youi need to find at least a MS-390.I got the 24 bar for mine but stihl recommends a 20" bar.Got the bigger bar for $10 more,could not pass that by.
Greg

Rob

New User
Rob
Stihl recommends a 20" bar on that saw, and from my reading of the reviews, is under powered for a 24" bar. Never having one, don't know, but I would like a saw that will run a 24" or larger. I don't want to be in the same boat I'm in now, wanting a larger bar and having to buy a new saw to get one. I don't for see needing larger then 24", but I didn't for see needing larger then 18" when I bought mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS