Table Saw Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I recently installed a home-made splitter on my zero-clearance table saw insert to assist in ripping wood. Is there any reason to remove the splitter for cross-cuts, or is it OK to leave in place?

Any safety concerns for crosscuts?

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving it there during cross cuts as long as cross cuts are done correctly, i.e. move the rip fence out the way. I only use a splitter if I am ripping long (over 4') stock. For everything else I keep it off. Just a personal prefrence.

JJD

New User
John
Would love to see a photo of your splitter...have been wanting to do this myself, but haven't yet figured out how to do it....

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Would love to see a photo of your splitter...have been wanting to do this myself, but haven't yet figured out how to do it....

The one that I use is actually from the guard that came with the saw. (The really bad one the most of us don't use.) I lopped off one of the bottom "legs" that attach to the saw through the throat plate, and re-intalled it in the saw.

I hope this helps.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If you're lazier than cheap, or in my case, not smart enough, take a look at the MicroJig splitter. I've had it for a year now and been very happy with it.

Yes, you can make something like this yourself, but I like having the jig to drill the holes.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I got a Beisemeyer splitter for my Unisaw and, after figuring out how to line it up, I like it alot. Now I am trying to pull the trigger on an overhead guard for the saw.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
If it's interfering with your crosscuts; it's not aligned correctly. However, if you leave it in place while plowing a groove, you can expect interesting results!
:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS