Stripping this clear finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have a friend that wants me to strip the clear finish off of this gear shift knob - and fix the chips and scratches that are in it - and lighten it up a bit - I have done very little striping and told him I would ask the experts to see what they think so here I am asking:gar-Bi It has an aluminum insert epoxied in and I told him I did not know what the stripper would do to the aluminum - anyone got any suggestions
Gear_knob_3.jpg

View image in gallery

Thanks and sorry about the bad pictures - oh he said that the wood decor in his truck is burlwood - now I do not know much but burlwood does come from several different spices of wood - doesn't it:icon_scra or do we have a Burlwood tree somewhere down deep in the rainforrest that I do not know about

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Re: Striping this clear finish

Burl is created by a defect in the growth of the tree. Any species of wood can have burl.

Looking at the pictures, I don't see any real damage or defects. In fact, it looks pretty good. I have no idea what the finish is but I would bet it's some type of two part finish. There would be no one part finish that would be as tough. So, figure out what the new finish will be before attempting to remove what's there now.

Personally, I would first try to wet sand with 600 Wet&Dry sandpaper. Follow this with 1200 grit and then apply an automotive white polishing compound and buff it out. You might find that this is all that is needed to rejuvenate its appearance.

Paint strippers will soften some two part finishes and may also affect the epoxy adhesive. That's not a big deal as you can easily re-epoxy the insert when the finishing is done.

jmauldin

New User
Jim

I have refinished the interior parts on several Jaquars for a local company - dash, steering wheels, side panels, gear shift knobs. They were on cars that were for international competition, so they had to be perfect. I have found no trouble stripping them with store brand MC and then applying finish. You should have no problem doing the same with this knob. If it is an older knob I have doubts as to whether it is a two-part finish. Most likely it is lacq. You could also use a conversion finish - lacq. or varnish, or pre-cat. By the way, stripper will not affect the metal. You will have to polish it, but you would do that anyway.
Jim in Mayberry

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I have refinished the interior parts on several Jaquars for a local company - dash, steering wheels, side panels, gear shift knobs. They were on cars that were for international competition, so they had to be perfect. I have found no trouble stripping them with store brand MC and then applying finish. You should have no problem doing the same with this knob. If it is an older knob I have doubts as to whether it is a two-part finish. Most likely it is lacq. You could also use a conversion finish - lacq. or varnish, or pre-cat. By the way, stripper will not affect the metal. You will have to polish it, but you would do that anyway.
Jim in Mayberry

Thanks Jim, when you stripped the knob did you dip it or just wipe it on

jmauldin

New User
Jim

I used a flow-over system, which I no longer have, or you could say I did it by hand. You get the same results, although the MC used in the flow-over system is stronger. Now I just by stripper by the gallon and do it "by hand".
Let us know how your knob turns out.
Jim in Mayberry

wayne

New User
wayne

Jim

Did your refinishing of the Jaguar interior pieces consist of replacing veneer also or strictly redoing the finish only.
I've got a 88 xjs that will involve replacing veneer along with refinishing.
The veneer on the ski slope is the worst but have sourced enough burl walnut to redo the dash pieces also so everything will match.
I was thinking of using a top of the line clear urethane for the finish used in the bc/cc automotive systems.

Wayne

Jim in Mayberry

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Yes, some of the pieces required reveneering. One in particular, a stering wheel, was a bear getting the veneer to "curve" around the wheel, but I had some very thin, flexible veneer that I was able to use. On the pieces I refinished I used lacq. since they were for show and not for every day use. One piece, which was for the restorer's personal use I used pre-cat lac. since I felt it would hold up better. Clear urethane should work just as well.
Is the car you are working on your personal car or for someone else?
Jim in Mayberry

wayne

New User
wayne
This is a personal car.
The veneer for the ski slope is bookmatched and the piece of veneer for the dash pieces is long enough so that the grain will flow all the way across the dash.

Phillip my apologies for hijacking your thread

Wayne

Yes, some of the pieces required reveneering. One in particular, a stering wheel, was a bear getting the veneer to "curve" around the wheel, but I had some very thin, flexible veneer that I was able to use. On the pieces I refinished I used lacq. since they were for show and not for every day use. One piece, which was for the restorer's personal use I used pre-cat lac. since I felt it would hold up better. Clear urethane should work just as well.
Is the car you are working on your personal car or for someone else?
Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS