Purple Heartwood advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenguWoodwork

New User
Kelly
Hey everyone,
I've read through the PH posts throughout the forum and felt my question was unique enough to warrant a new thread.
I'm almost to the finishing step in a Purple Heartwood boken (wood sword for martial arts training) and need some advice. Typically I use Tung Oil (with White Oak) because it provides moisture protection but lacks the "sticky" quality that typical finishes can cause in sweaty hands.
With that in mind, what can I use to minimize the oxidation (purple to brown) but not have the stickiness of finish/lacquer?

As always, thats for your help and advice!

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Clear satin wipe on poly might be a good option. That's what I just used on my Moxon vise and it feels pretty good on the hand screws and should be impervious to sweaty hands. I found the satin to be smooth but not at all sticky.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I meant to add, the satin wipe on poly isn't slick or slippery either. Something pretty important in your application. :)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Purpleheart changes color in response to both UV and oxidization. Best option is to use a film finish (like lacquer or poly) and keep the piece out of the light.

But I will caution that I have never heard of a way to *completely stop* the browning process, short of resorting to purple stain :)

-Mark

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Purpleheart changes color in response to both UV and oxidization. Best option is to use a film finish (like lacquer or poly) and keep the piece out of the light.

But I will caution that I have never heard of a way to *completely stop* the browning process, short of resorting to purple stain :)

-Mark
This is what I have been told also.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i made some small boxes a couple of years ago w/ purple heart that have remained purple so far. I used an oil/varnish blend (blo/poly). However, I don't rub my sweaty hands on them (often), so I can't comment on that effect. For your purposes, I would not want a film finish unless they're just for show, so I'd probably just go w/ the tung oil. FWIW, indoor finishes like poly varnish, lacquer, etc. won't give much UV protection anyways. FWIW, purple heart will weep for a long time w/ an oil finish, much worse than oak or walnut IIRC, so continue to wipe the oil off periodically for the next day or so.

Sam

TenguWoodwork

New User
Kelly
Hi everyone. Thanks again for your advice. I looked around a couple of other sources and took a shot with Teak Oil. I did a double coat. It's got the right feel in my opinion, so time will tell on the "preservation factor".

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Thanks for the update, let us know how quickly it browns, if at all. Didn't notice a PICTURE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS