Poppy Table Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren46

New User
Warren
Poppy Table Part 2
A couple of nights in the shop and I took LOML to the airport so I got several hours working on this project today.
Started out making a template for the shape of the legs.
IMG_1009.jpg

I drilled two holes where there pattern has a very tight radius.
IMG_1014.jpg

Now cut just outside the line at the band saw.
IMG_1015.jpg

Next fix the template on the leg using double stick tape and clean up the shape with a pattern bit at the router table.
IMG_1018.jpg

Oops, I left a little too much waste at the foot of two of the legs. The router caught and threw a chunk across the room.
IMG_1011.jpg

Clean up the break at the disk sander.
IMG_1012.jpg

Glue a piece of scrape at the break selecting matching grain.
IMG_1013.jpg

After finishing the repair at the band saw and a little hand work it is time to cut out the detail at the top of the leg. I chose to rough the shape out using a hand held scroll saw.
IMG_1021.jpg

Lots of hand work here with files and rasps to smooth the shape. I am using maple and as a result there are lots of burn marks to take off by hand.
IMG_1023.jpg

Now I can dry fit the leg structure. It seems like kind of a milestone.
IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

Now it is time to turn my attention to the table top and self. I have two pieces of five quarter maple that is just shy of being wide enough to make the top. I ripped it in half so it would fit on my jointer and planer. After planning to three quarters I glued the pieces back together again. Several passes through the drum sander at 36 grit then 80 grit removed any tearout.
IMG_1008.jpg

I finished the day by cutting the shelf to shape.
IMG_1026.jpg

Next steps are to cut out the top and do the veining in the top; then applying the finish. I will need to try out several different finish schedules on scrap because the maple I am using has some interesting grain patterns (some spalting and some ambrosia). I am thinking a sanding sealer followed by minwax gel stain and shellac as one possibility. Another is just amber shellac or boiled linseed followed by shellac.
Any suggestions for finishing unruly maple would be appreciated.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Looks like it's going to be a really neat table. Are you carving the poppy flower top? Can't wait to see the next installment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS