OSB vrs plywood walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I don't think it looks bad after painting - as we can see from the pictures posted. It is a shop after all. There is a smooth and rough side. As I mentioned, it is a bit of a bear to get a screw into it. I did not paint the lathe a different color but it is a good idea. If looks are that important you don't want to use it. My previous shop had plywood walls and after painting they did not look that good either - sure wasn't as smooth as drywall.

I am not sure about the glue/fume business. I can't detect anything so if there are fumes they are not noticeable. Of course I had the doors open all day for a couple weeks after installation. I can't believe it is out gassing for much beyond a week or so. I cut all the panels outside but there was little cutting as the walls are 8'. I put up all the 4' sections from the middle outward. Then only had to cut to width in the corners. But while we are on this, I use MDF to make patterns, etc, all the time and it is way worse than OSB for dust. So if someone objects to OSB dust they must really have a problem with MDF.

The painting difficulties were not enough to make me swear off OSB & given the same circumstances I would likely do it again.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
when painting it why not spray it?:dontknow: much less work and HF has cheap sprayers the would work for that. probly cheaper than all those roller pads and brushes you tore up.:icon_thum when you are done you still have the sprayer. they aint the best spray gun but they can be made to work.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
When I built my garage and shop combo 10 years ago I covered the studs inside and out with OSB. I wanted it to be strong!:gar-La; I did cover the outside layer with cedar siding though. No paint on the inside walls. Just left 'em bare...

Back then, there was a smooth side and one of the sides was even was stamped "THIS SIDE DOWN". Don't remember which one and it's too cold to go look!!!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The ceiling and upper walls in my new shop are a "zip board" type of OSB. The zip system coats one side with a vapor barrier, and it covers up a lot of the visible OSB flakes. If you've seen modern construction with a green board wall sheathing and black taped joints, that's the ZIP system.

Zip board costs around 9 bucks a board. Cheaper than plywood but more expensive than plain OSB. I painted most of it with a sprayer - the ceiling with an airless and most of the walls with one of the Wagner powered roller system. I was very pleased with the powered roller too.

The bottom of the shop (where the electrical runs) is drywall for fire resistance.

To me, the biggest drawback to OSB is the appearance - it just doesn't do it for me. I'll have to say though, Jim's walls sure look great!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
OSB is not a moisture resistant kind of thing. If you use that for flooring, I'd put a LOT of coats of poly on it. ... and a kitchen is a place where there would be loads of moisture. I would also be concerned about the floor loading. OSB would require some kind of substrate to ensure structural integrity. At the risk of sounding critical, I'd be very careful about what I 'learn' from home improvement shows.
There is an OSB product that will do as a stand alone floor in this application. It's 3/4" Sturd-I-Floor. It uses a t & G edge & is good up to 24" o.c. Finished looks aren' too much IMO, but if you're gonna do the rabbet/dado & applied strip thing this is what you should use - but over 16" o.c. joists. You're diminishing the strength of the panel when you rabbet/dado it like that.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
There is an OSB product that will do as a stand alone floor in this application. It's 3/4" Sturd-I-Floor. It uses a t & G edge & is good up to 24" o.c. Finished looks aren' too much IMO, but if you're gonna do the rabbet/dado & applied strip thing this is what you should use - but over 16" o.c. joists. You're diminishing the strength of the panel when you rabbet/dado it like that.

Dennis,

Good point. There are OSB-like products more suited to flooring, or where there will be moisture. AdvanTech from Huber is another. We use AdvanTech for subflooring on the houses we build. I've seen water from rain or snow sit in large pools on this stuff for protracted periods and have never seen any swelling or deterioration at all.

norm932

New User
norm
Here's my two cents worth. Its not the wife's sitting room, it's a shop. If this is going to be a working shop, use the OSB save the money and buy something else you need. Don't even paint the walls. In a few years you well be glad you didn't paint. Now if its a shop to show everyone you have a clean shop you may want to go the other way and put carpet in also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS