Need advice on painting OSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Now the next problem comes up. Almost every time I start the roller rolling along the ceiling, it doesn't roll, it just slides, and the paint starts dripping like the dickens. Looks like the power roller may need some more maintenance, or a nearby trash can.

I've had this happen when I had too much paint flowing to the roller. Usually I set it on "2" and turn it on and off as needed, but I keep the roller fairly dry.

Glad that you got the project whipped though!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark, I can sympathize. Every project always seems to take three times as long as planned, with double the effort and triple the aggravation. And NO project is complete without at least two trips to the hardware store. But, the good news is, all that aggravation will fade, and you'll just enjoy your new and bright shop.

I see I never replied to why I recommended water-based Kilz. Grain raising is always a concern, but with OSB, you're never going to get it smooth anyway, not unless you sand. Especially when you're finishing the rough side. Now imagine that the stuff dripping on you all day was oil-based...

Good luck getting the project finished. And don't forget to take pictures, especially of yourself with hair clumped together due to excessive paint dripping :)

I did end up going with the water based Kilz. Started thinking about the clean up required with the oil based product. Plus, as you said, raising grain isn't a problem with the rough sided osb.

Can't take any pictures of my hair clumped together as the hair has been long gone for quite some time. My arms seem to catch most of the drips.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm not familiar with Advantech, but you say it's very smooth. Something to consider in finishing the floor is, how smooth (as in slippery) will it wind up? In the shop where I used to work, the gloss-painted floors could get mighty slippery when they got some sawdust on them.

Good point. I have a small piece of the Advantech left over that I can paint as a test.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I've had this happen when I had too much paint flowing to the roller. Usually I set it on "2" and turn it on and off as needed, but I keep the roller fairly dry.

Glad that you got the project whipped though!

My power roller isn't adjustable. The pump is on or off. Flow to the roller is controlled by a push button on the handle.

I would have eventually figured out the right amount of flow and thinning, but it just seemed to go faster using a pole since I didn't have to mess with the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS