Midi Lathe - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have been looking at midi lathes to replace the full sized General lathe that I recently sold. I feel that a midi will serve my purpose well for the occasional turning that I might do. Just got a Penn State catalog and was looking at the TurnCrafter Pro VS w/ bed extension. Does anyone have this machine and what do you think of it? What other midis should I be looking at. I feel that it should have extended bed capabilities yet small enough that it can be put away when not in use. Don't want to spend too much because I hardly ever use it. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Dino, the Penn State lathe gets some good reviews, the Jet models are a great choice also and should be available locally.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLPLUSXX.html
Pen Making Starter Set with Turncrafter Plus 1/4HP Variable Speed Mini Lathe

Item #: TCLPLUSXX
$249.05
Reg. Price: $278.80
You Save: $29.75

Rating
star_solid.gif
star_solid.gif
star_solid.gif
star_solid.gif
star_solid.gif

I don't know what all you want to do with your but I have been looking at the Mini's and if I was to get one I believe that I will get this one

SteveColes

New User
Steve
Let me add the Rikon, it was my first lathe courtisey of the members and is now the GW lathe. I was very happy with it and I suspect you will get some good reviews from some of our other members who had it as the GW and then moved on to other lathes.

Also look at the new Steel City Lathes, they look impressive and are inexpensive.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would suggest Electronic Variable Speed. I have played with one lathe that you have to change pulleys to change the speeds and after toying with Doug Robinsons new lathe with the electronic speed changes it is the defintely the way to go.

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Dino,
I have an old version of the lathe. The biggest drawback is that I thank the 1/4 hp is underpowered. I know they make one with 1/2 hp that would likely be much more up to the task. The 1/2 hp is also a variable speed.

Good luck with it.
Jim

John Jankowski

New User
John
I would recommend the Jet 1220 VS. 3/4 HP. Very nice lathe. If my son had not won the Jet 1014 to which I added the VS (its only 1/2 HP but with six pulley speeds I can get the right amount of torque in the speed ranges we use) that's the one I would have purchased for him. Its quite a bit beefier also.

John

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
I love my Jet Mini lathe. I added the extension bed to be able to turn up to around 36". My only regret is not going with the VS. If you can swing the extra money, you won't be sorry. I would also suggest that you look for a 1/2 hp model if you plan on anything other than pens.

Happy shopping :gar-Bi

Duane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS