Mash Paddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
* I made this for the wicked witch of the south, a neighbor of ours. I got tired of picking up my walnut boards up from the back of her house... She would help herself to some sticks to stir up what ever crazy brew she had cooking up in that cauldron of hers - just kidding :)

* Actually I have some unruly teenagers - just kidding again :)

* One of my son's calls me up today and says pops I want to you make me a mash paddle - apparently it's for stirring up mash but I wouldn't know anything about that :crossedlips:. So I grabbed a peice of QS Sycamore because it's a "food" safe wood and hacked out a rough shape. At least I'll be able to sit on the front porch and finish it up with a pocket knife and some sand paper. 7/8" thick 5" wide 36" long.

P1010142.JPG

Thanks

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Cool Jeff!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I have been a member here at NCWoodworker for close to 4 years and I can honestly say that this is the 1st mash paddle project I have ever seen here!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Who woulda thought?

Looks to me that you nailed the shape and well on your way to completing quite a conversation piece.

Well Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nice, can we get a closer look at the very top of the handle? Just curious on the construction.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nice, can we get a closer look at the very top of the handle? Just curious on the construction.

It's a solid peice. I cut the handle 7/8 sq on the bandsaw and ran it over the router table chucked with a 3/8" round over bit to make it round.

P1010143.JPG

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks good but just dont let the revenoors see ya totein it back in them thar hills!:rotflm:

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Sorta makes one wonder....How did he know what a mash paddle was and what size to make it?

Nice looking "Paddle" for mash or unruly kids.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Let's give Jeff the benefit of the doubt and say that he son wants it to stir a washpot full of brunswick stew. :gar-Bi

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made a couple of those for stirring chicken stew a couple years ago. Didn't think they were worth posting a picture of them though. :dontknow:

That looks good and strong and sycamore is perfect. :icon_thum

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hacked out a couple more depending on how big the mash bucket is

Length 36" long / 30" long / 24" long
Paddle 12" / 10-1/2" / 9"

They still need holes in the paddle, I'm having a hard time picturing how I should pop the holes out... They are rough sanded to 80 grit, but needs to be worked up to 220, so hours of sanding fun, I hate sanding :eusa_booh. Then it's a finish with Tung Oil (food safe finish unless someone is allergic to nuts).

P10101451.JPG

Thanks

sawduster

New User
Robert
Dood you never cease to amaze me with what can fall out of your head when it comes to woodworking :banana:

good job :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS