Letting wood blanks freeze outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountaintop

New User
Keith
My shop is separate from the house is 20x20. I added 12' overhand on one side to store wood and to do sanding outside. This is where my bowl blanks are now. They are sealed and covered from the sun and weather. At this time there hasn't been a problem but wonder when it starts to freeze will this presents a problem turning blanks when I bring them inside? My shop does freeze inside a few weeks of the year so I built a light bulb warm box that turns on at 38 degrees. I store glues and other products with water in there others get moved to the house. My shop has a propane canon heater that heats the shop up in 30 minutes along with two ceiling heaters.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Keith, I am no expert on the turning block thing but I do know that when things freeze they do swell - soda can in freezer not a good thing:gar-Bi - anyway with your blanks being green they may swell and crack but may not since you have them sealed - I really don't know so forget about all that I just said and I hope the pros can chime in on this one - very good question by the way:icon_thum

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Besides the article, a head slap "DUH" occurs to me - trees survive freezing all the time. They don't generate heat (not while living, anyway) so when there is a cold snap, they freeze.

mountaintop

New User
Keith
Guess that makes sense trees freeze in the winter. I just wondered since they move most of the moisture back to the roots before winter if they would crack more freezing and thawing.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
John Jordan one of the top turners in the country says you can put your best blanks in a freezer until you can turn them so not only does it not dry out, but preserves the color which he shows off in his wonderful turnings. I will have to eat a lot of deer meat to make room in mine I guess. His DVD on wood is very good. It lets you know what to expect from wood before and after it is turned.
Jack

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I would be surprised to hear that it would hurt them - last time I checked, trees freeze every winter :>

Hello all, I was about to post that article and just saw it a little to late.... This is how I keep a lot of my high end blanks for customers that like to purchase over several weeks and then have them shipped all at one time.

I can say the only one that has ever given me a problem in the freezer is Hackberry. I have only froze Three pieces and 2 of them did create a defect. Small, but wasn't there when put in...

Also another good idea is store blanks in 55 gallon drums of water, until you aready to turn if you like turning Green. Gene from Klingspor Turning Club tought me this.

Hope this helps a bit
CB

thewoodeye

New User
woodeye
:kermit: Soaking in water is a good idea for other forms of wood also. A few years ago I stopped carving walking sticks. It was too hard on my hands. I sold my remaining stick blanks to a carver who always allowed them to soak before carving. He had no problems carving them. Guess my brain and hands wore out about the same time.
Hello all, I was about to post that article and just saw it a little to late.... This is how I keep a lot of my high end blanks for customers that like to purchase over several weeks and then have them shipped all at one time.

I can say the only one that has ever given me a problem in the freezer is Hackberry. I have only froze Three pieces and 2 of them did create a defect. Small, but wasn't there when put in...

Also another good idea is store blanks in 55 gallon drums of water, until you aready to turn if you like turning Green. Gene from Klingspor Turning Club tought me this.

Hope this helps a bit
CB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS