Jim Byrnes Thickness Sander - Review

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
Have looked at the table saw and sander for a while. Held off because I don’t know that I’d use them enough, but may just have to bite the bullet. Would be great for the miniature craftsman homes and furniture.

Someone mentioned the Bridge City block plane with skirts - my wife gave me that a few years ago as a surprise and have used it extensively. Works very well in getting repeatable thicknesses, which is particularly helpful with hardwood floors and such. Doubt I would have paid for it myself, but a great present for sure.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Found this post on a search for 'drum sander'. This sounds like a great tool that I'd love to use.
Checking the website I see that the founder has passed - and while they are supplying parts and accesories, they are 'currently not accepting orders' for new tools - FYI (as of Sept 2024 at least).

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I have the Jim Byrnes drum sander and it is indeed a great tool. I was going to order his table saw but he had passed away a few weeks earlier. His daughter is running the company and, from what I hear, is hoping to make the machines available again. However, each machine was hand made by Jim and finding another craftsman at his level will be tough. Keep in mind that this is NOT a general purpose drum sander. It is built for model makers and those, like me, who have to make small parts. Using the machine, I can make small parts, mostly thin wood strips, within 1/1000 of an inch in thickness - something that can't be done on a full size drum sander consistently.

If the table saw becomes available, I will be first in line to buy it.

Last edited:

tghsmith

tghs
User
I check monthly to see if the machines are back in production,, so glad after wanting them for years I broke down and got them in time.. after a saw Jim had passed I did get a few more accessories and wear parts (belts and blades)..

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS