Jeff's Curly sycamore

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I got to turn one of these today, I love the curl in this stock. I can't wait to make some more.

american_sycamore3.jpg

J

jeff...

Hey Clay - my youngest daughter has already claimed it and it's not even here yet :lol:. I suspect you'll have another thank you letter to hang on your refrigerator. Looks like a candy cane to me...

Great job as always on making the pen :icon_thum. Did you catch the name I sent the flat rate envelope too?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oh, that's pretty. It turned out better than I expected, and the blanks were very nice looking.
Guess I ain't posting the pen I turned tonight :oops: :lol:

Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
The curly sycamore looks awesome :icon_thum The pen is magnificent as usual. I can not wait for the bowl and pen blanks that Jeff will be dropping off the Saturday :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

J

jeff...

Nick, I'll see you on the morning and I'll make sure I bring you some pen blanks. I'm glad I cut the wood sale off Thursday. it was a hectic day around here, had an unexpected buck skinning. He ran out in front of me early this morning, was a bad deal for the buck, freezer full for me, and no damage to the truck either. He was a 10 pointer, I'm going to mount his rack on a slab of wood and call him Bumper :lol:.

Watch them deer while driving, their thick around here.

J

jeff...

Forgot to add a picture of Bumper

Attachments

• Nov10$01.jpg
    Nov10$01.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 227

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wow Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must have a very solid bumper on that truck of yours!!!

I have noticed a lot of deer carcasses spread all along I40 out near the airport! You are right. They are thick at this time of year and the time to be careful driving.

Glad that you and the truck are ok and your freezer is full!

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Have to add my spin on Jeff's... sycamore pens. Beautiful wood, rivals or surpases any curly Maple I've ever used, and easier to turn :eusa_danc

Pens_023.jpg

clowman

Clay Lowman
Excellent work Dave. :icon_thum:icon_thum I'll agree on the curl on this wood. I love it. I can't wait to make some more.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I love it. I can't wait to make some more.

I can't stop :oops: :oops: I turned 5 pens this weekend, plus made some of my own blanks, and almost finished two cutting boards, just got out of the shop at 10:30pm :roll:
I think I have a problem :lol: :lol: :lol:

J

jeff...

Dave those are pretty, very nice!

Have a question for both You and Clay. What would you guys think a pen would look like from a cross cut blanks. Do you think the curl would run perpendicular to the length of pen? What about X (45 degree or so) cut? would the curl spiral up the length of the pen? I would be glad to cut up a flat rate enevelope full and send to you guys, for experiment.

Let me know what you think and if you would like to give it a try.

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What about X (45 degree or so) cut? would the curl spiral up the length of the pen? I would be glad to cut up a flat rate enevelope full and send to you guys, for experiment.

Let me know what you think and if you would like to give it a try.

Thanks

That could be really funky :icon_thum I would love to see how one would turn out. That's half of the fun of pen turning, you never really know what the finished pen will look like until it's done.

J

jeff...

ok I'll work on getting two flat rate envelopes together half X and cross cut to both you guys. I should be able to get them to you this week. Dave PM me your mailing address. I'm looking for a industrial / restaurant microwave to use in the shop. If ya'll run across a used one let me know.

Thanks

cskipper

Cathy
Me too. me too please???? Did you cute any bowl-type blanks that are 7-10" square that I could get LOML to resaw for scrolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS