glue-up tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great tip Sully. Let me add one to that:

I use the small plastic Dixie cups for holding the glue during the bigger glue-ups (where just squeezing right out of the bottle isn't practical). Of course, those little cups love to fall over. So I glued a cup to a piece of scrap plywood (6"x6x), so that I have 'base'. Now, if you add a magnet to that base as well, you get a Multi-Functional Glue Management Station!

(batteries not included)

J

jeff...

I see those HF brushes are magnetically balanced wow and who would have thought - so was this invention of yours a mistake or did you go through countless tests and compiled mountains of data to solve a complex problem? I say market it :icon_chee

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks Sully, Thursday I mumbled some not very nice words as I traipsed back into the house to bring a container of water out to the shop after I had already made the trip twice before after knocking my glue brush into a convenient benchtop saw dust pile :tinysmile_cry_t:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Another tip to add on to the HF brushes is I take a little piece of blue tape and wrap it around about half of the bristles and the ferrule. That does two things. First it prevents any loose bristles from coming out and getting stuck in your joint and second it reduces the bristle length making the brush a little stiffer and more precise. Plus I saw David Marks do it so it must be good :cool::icon_thum

Dave:)

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Nice tip Sully, but what do you do when you cant find the magnet.

I'll have to get one and do that.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>> reduces the bristle length making the brush a little stiffer and more precise

Or, using a scissors, cut off half the length of the bristles. Makes a much better brush for spreading adhesive.

I personally don't like wrapping in tape as I clean out my glue brushes and reuse them. I don't think I have bought a new acid brush in 25 years. I have 5 or 6 and they clean up just fine. If the adhesive dries in them, just put them into a cup of hot or boiling water for an hour or so and the glue will be softened and easily clean out.

The above works for all water based adhesives whether standard or Type II "water resistant". It won't work for Type I "water proof adhesives (TBIII) or epoxies. If the adhesive hardens with those, sharpen them up and use them for a chisel.

DavidF

New User
David
>> reduces the bristle length making the brush a little stiffer and more precise

Or, using a scissors, cut off half the length of the bristles. Makes a much better brush for spreading adhesive.

I personally don't like wrapping in tape as I clean out my glue brushes and reuse them. I don't think I have bought a new acid brush in 25 years. I have 5 or 6 and they clean up just fine. If the adhesive dries in them, just put them into a cup of hot or boiling water for an hour or so and the glue will be softened and easily clean out.

The above works for all water based adhesives whether standard or Type II "water resistant". It won't work for Type I "water proof adhesives (TBIII) or epoxies. If the adhesive hardens with those, sharpen them up and use them for a chisel.

I do the same. I bought a Doz from WC about 8 years ago and still have at least half of them left unused. I store them in water between glue ups and clean and put them away between projects.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
Cool TIP...

edit:
I usually just use my finger... or grab a small piece of scrap... to do it... Then reach for a paper towel. :)

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS